Christmas decorating. When do you start?

Californiablonde

I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday. I love to decorate for all of the holidays, including the Fourth of July and Saint Patrick's Day, but Christmas is my favorite. I am having a debate with my son. I always start decorating and I put the tree up the very day after Thanksgiving. This year the day after Thanksgiving happens to fall on the 25th, so that's a whole month of being able to enjoy my tree and decorations.

My son says the day after Thanksgiving is way too early, and I shouldn't even think about decorating until December 1st. No way am I waiting that long! But, I do have a few Thanksgiving decorations up right now until my favorite holiday season begins. I have noticed that some of my residents already have Christmas stuff out on their patios. I think it's too early. If it's too early, at least for me, I think it sort of loses it's magical touch. Just curious how many of you decorate for the holidays, and if so, when? I just love Christmas!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I tend to be a bit enthusiastic about Christmas. I drag that tree out Thanksgiving....I plot my cookie baking a few months before...sights and smells are the best part.

And ....I admit to putting my icycle lights out last week in our inside smooch...yes, one of my son's yell...your killing baby reindeer! Silly!

KTMom91

Thanksgiving weekend. I remember when the stores were magically decorated for Black Friday shopping, and that was the official start to the Christmas season. Miss KT would have her tree up year round if her hubby would let her. She loves Christmas, decorations, presents, cookies...all that stuff.

Lil

The weekend after Thanksgiving. Though last year I don't think I did anything except the outdoors...we were going to Vegas after all...I don't know that I'll do much this year. It just seems kind of useless if we're not celebrating.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
CB, I too love to decorate for all occasions and seasons.

It takes me a few days to decorate for Christmas and I will start a day or two after Thanksgiving. I try to have some decorations in each room of my house including the bathrooms. It's such a warm and cozy feeling when it's all done.

I know there are people who don't like Christmas decorations being put up before Thanksgiving or even Halloween and that's their choice but to them I say "Christmas is a joyous season filled with the love of family and friends and that is something to be celebrated" I know not everyone is a Christian and that's fine but for me, I love celebrating the birth of Jesus, I even bake a birthday cake and we all sing Happy Birthday. Yes, I'm very corny!

Deck the Halls!!!
:lights::rudolph::forchristmas::xmasdancers::mistletoe:

AppleCori

I'm not big on decorating for Christmas, mainly because we are usually gone at Christmas, and I don't like coming home to a bunch of decorations I need to take down. We always put up outside lights and decorations, as it is a neighborhood thing and I don't want to look like a grinch, though.

We usually put up the outside lights in November, more often decided by the weather and not by a particular day. Nice weather on a weekend will often dictate that it is time to get them up.

Lil

I used to love it. Even when I was single and lived alone, I always put up a tree. For some reason, it just seems like a waste of time now. I'm sad, I guess. It just being me and Jabber...most of the time I love that but at the holidays the house seems so empty. Without kids, not even our adult kid, it's just...Bah humbug.

Scent of Cedar *

I love marking the changing of the Seasons and the feel of Christmas. I understand how it feels Lil to try to make Christmas when the kids are not home. Remember when I began making baklava? In the baking and the sending, there was a feeling of Christmas for me. And that horrible Christmas when even the neighbors bailed on us and we wound up in a Chinese buffet on Christmas Eve?!? Here are some things I am going to try this year:

7be58e146995e42e841e1bdf4491f822.jpg

6a804e319a8a632d96cb08d3c9486435.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Cedar

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
The melting snowmen is too cute..I love thinking of all of you decorating..it's still exciting for me without little ones.

I love baklava.....

Lil

Here are some things I am going to try this year:

I actually haven't even considered a tree this year. I don't think I put one up last year...I don't even remember. Maybe I did. But with us being gone...Maybe I didn't. That's how memorable it was to me. But of course, we weren't home.

I've always wanted to do the whole house and have a Christmas open house. But right now our house is all torn up and there's no way. Besides...I don't want to. lol

The fact is, I'm so sad all the time these days. I miss my son. I don't know any other way to put it. Not the son I have now...though I do miss him...but I miss my little boy. I miss having someone love me and depend on me. I miss the excitement of Christmas and the fun of Thanksgiving - there's no excitement or fun anymore to the holidays. I miss...everything. I don't know why...I can't say I'm depressed. This isn't what I'd consider depression...though having never suffered from depression, maybe it is. I'm just so SAD. :cry: And I shouldn't be. Fall has always been my favorite time of year. It's a time that makes me feel alive and vital and happy, I love the cool crisp, sunny days and changing leaves and frosty nights. As for my son, he's fine. He called today and has been staying with some girl he met in her dorm on a college campus the last week. He actually said he wished he could think of a way to attend school there. So...yeah. He's fine, the weather's beautiful, and I'm sad all the time anyway.

Californiablonde

I actually haven't even considered a tree this year. I don't think I put one up last year...I don't even remember. Maybe I did. But with us being gone...Maybe I didn't. That's how memorable it was to me. But of course, we weren't home.

I've always wanted to do the whole house and have a Christmas open house. But right now our house is all torn up and there's no way. Besides...I don't want to. lol

The fact is, I'm so sad all the time these days. I miss my son. I don't know any other way to put it. Not the son I have now...though I do miss him...but I miss my little boy. I miss having someone love me and depend on me. I miss the excitement of Christmas and the fun of Thanksgiving - there's no excitement or fun anymore to the holidays. I miss...everything. I don't know why...I can't say I'm depressed. This isn't what I'd consider depression...though having never suffered from depression, maybe it is. I'm just so SAD. :cry: And I shouldn't be. Fall has always been my favorite time of year. It's a time that makes me feel alive and vital and happy, I love the cool crisp, sunny days and changing leaves and frosty nights. As for my son, he's fine. He called today and has been staying with some girl he met in her dorm on a college campus the last week. He actually said he wished he could think of a way to attend school there. So...yeah. He's fine, the weather's beautiful, and I'm sad all the time anyway.
So sorry, Lil. I hope you start feeling better.