Christmas music in Walmart, or how to embarrass your kid

flutterby

Fly away!
Shopping for kitty litter at Walmart, I could faintly hear, "It's a marshmallow world...".

I stopped, turned to difficult child and said, "OH! Is that Christmas music??" To which difficult child replied, "No, Mom, we're not looking at Christmas decorations."

Of course, my cart just steered itself to the back of the store where the music got louder, and sure enough it was Christmas music. And I turned into the aisles full of delightful, sparkling decorations, lights, ribbons, stockings...all the lacings and trimmings for Christmas. I'm oohing and ahhing and, oh...look at this...and butterflies must be the "thing" this season cause they had them at Micheal's, too...and, OHHHHHH I *love* that.

difficult child is threatening mutiny. So, naturally, I had to up the ante by singing along with the music. By now "Jingle Bell Rock" was playing. And the more she protested, the louder I got. :D And I know ALL of the words. Dancing along helped.

I love how growing older has caused me to become less embarrassed. :bigsmile:

Of course, she threatened to play her "loud, scary music" when she got home, but was rather deflated when I reminded her that not only do I listen to the same music, so it's not scary to me, I have a Christmas station set up on Pandora and my speakers are louder than hers. :xmasdancers:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh you sound like me... I will only do that to embarrass the kids though.

on the other hand, I absolutely adore nontraditional Christmas music. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is awesome! And Mannheim Steamroller. And then... (WARNING, MAY OFFEND!)

There's something stuck up in the chimney and I don't know what it is...

The first thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me... Is finding a Christmas tree...

Chipmunks roasting on an open fire... Hot sauce dripping from their toes...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh I love this...the part about embarrassing your kids that is! The Christmas music, I can do withOUT that until after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

skeeter

When my kids would act up at the store or such, I would quietly say "You are embarrassing me. And you know I will embarrass you MORE if you do not stop." Worked every time.

Mattsmom277

Have to admit I'm getting a bit tingly at the prospect of Christmas, so your post made me grin ! I noticed this week that Christmas is slowly creeping into the stores, haven't heard Christmas music yet but I imagine it will start next week once Halloween wraps up. I picked up some gorgeous ribbon and organza for making gift baskets yesterday and some lovely tins for homemade goody gifts. I haven't allowed myself to go near the decorations etc as I know I'll want a ton of stuff we can ill afford. I did pick up a mini tree for PCs dresser last night. I can't wait for December 1, which is my birthday and every year I spend the day decking out the house and putting up our tree, then the following day I start my baking. Only a bit over 4 weeks to go.

Love that you embarassed her and danced and sang, I do that to easy child all the time. The funny part is she turns beet red but actually enjoys me goofing around (so long as I don't take it too far).

donna723

Nothing like rushing the seasons! I went in our local little discount store looking for Halloween candy yesterday and found only one small display at one end of a long, empty shelf. The manager came over and told me that he had to put the Halloween candy in several different locations in the store to make room for the Christmas merchandise! Joking, I asked him what happened to Thanksgiving if we're in to Christmas even before Halloween? He said there really wasn't any Thanksgiving merchandise unless you're in the grocery business, so we go right from pre-Halloween to Christmas! I'm just not in the mood to Christmas shop when I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts!

KTMom91

Why save the singing for Christmas? I know all the words to the songs they play in the grocery store...and I can dance, too...and if Miss KT is being a total butthead, I'll grab a can of PAM or something to use as a microphone...

DammitJanet

LOL....I had to go to Wally world yesterday in search of a fan cause mine died ( you would have thought I was looking for a six headed man by the way) and they were putting Xmas stuff out as folks were snatching down the Halloween stuff. I didnt hear music and it wasnt much Xmas stuff but it was specialized Carolina stuff. Stockings, lights and ornaments.

Tony always sings in stores. He and Keyana sing to all the songs...especially Hannah Montana.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Why save the singing for Christmas? I know all the words to the songs they play in the grocery store...and I can dance, too...and if Miss KT is being a total butthead, I'll grab a can of PAM or something to use as a microphone...

:redface: Okay, okay, I will admit that I have found myself humming Christmas songs the past couple of weeks - we've had brisk weather up until this week! Once I realize what I'm humming or singing I make myself stop. They'll be none of that Happy Holiday Christmas Carolling singing or humming business until late next month, thank you very much.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Embarrassment stops difficult child behavior in it's tracks every time. A favorite tactic of mine especially dealing with teens.

Our walmart isn't doing xmas music yet, thank goodness. But the whole garden center is already devoted to xmas........and it's spreading fast all over the store. Christmas is my fav holiday.......actually the only holiday I actually enjoy. But seeing it put in my face even before halloween is just too much. I won't even go back and look right now. ugh

shellyd67

I love Christmas and all the Christmas songs. I also sing all time and always have. I even make my own words up for different situations. Sometimes the kids are embarrassed and sometimes they go right along with me .... :D

flutterby

Fly away!
I grew up with a mom who started playing Christmas music on Halloween. At least one year we listened to Christmas music during our annual trip to Cedar Point - in July.

I'm not big on having Christmas out in the stores this early, but when I heard the music - the Christmas music I grew up with - I got so excited. :) Torturing difficult child was just a bonus. :tongue:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The Christmas my Grandma died - 2004 - mother in law gave husband a teensy hippopotamus. On its arms and feet and back it is magnetic, so you can pretzel it up. He thought it was adorable. I stuck it in my purse for the trip South...

Grandma loved the song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". It came on the radio while Mom was driving me and Dad from the airport in El Paso to the hotel in Las Cruces, at midnight Christmas Eve.

When we got to the hotel, I pulled the magnetic Hippo out of my purse, handed it to my Mom, and we bawled our eyes out. It's on her fridge. Every so often I will pretzel it up... When she's not looking.

And then last year I found out my mother HATES that song!!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
My kids know to NEVER EVER EVER embarrass me in public. BEcause I WILL retaliate. BIG.

One of husband's friends back in OH had a child who was completely rude at dinner with the grandparents one day. Two days later C was in Kmart with his son. A girl his son liked (son was 15 and knew EVERYTHING, of course) was there and son ignored him to go talk to her. C walked up and put his arm around his son and asked who his friend was. As they walked away C kept his arm around his son and LOUDLY asked if they had the superman underwear that they needed to replace after his accident last night?

The son started to say something nasty and C kept hold of him and quietly said that if he EVER embarrassed him in front of relatives the way he had, the embarrassment that C dished back would be ten times worse than he had just done.

Being an intelligent young man, C's son never again said anything rude or ill mannered around any of the relatives.

NOT something i made up.

My kids are actually afraid of what I would think up. They have seen me create all sorts of cool, fun party cakes, outfits for events and Halloween, and other things. They fear that if they don't keep me busy I will use those skills for "evil", aka figuring out some way to embarrass them!

Wiz got much better behaved at school in jr high when the office ladies and vice principal had no problem if husband wanted to sing a Barney song over the intercom and dedicate it to Wiz. He actually turned pale when the ladies said it would be fine with them!!!

Of course thank you is harder to embarrass so far. husband asks for him at school by a different name each day. Derek Stonehenge was a favorite. The office ladies and his teacher LOVE it, and so does his class. Today he is Doctor Frankenslime, lol!

Mom2oddson

When the kids were younger, they fought every morning on the way to school. husband got put on the grave-yard shift and was suddenly able to take the kids to school. It only took one trip for husband to realize how much of a pain the kids could be on the way to school. husband got his revenge. He worn long-johns, with shorts over them, homer simpson slippers and a nasty, holey tank top. He walked the kids to the front door of the school, with the understanding that he would be wearing the same outfit every day. And if they ever fought in the car, next time, he'd walk them to their classrooms. It worked.

I love Christmas music. I'm under orders by every member of my family that can't put on Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day is my last day to listen to it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
(sniff).........VERY hard to hum It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ------- when it's a blistering 80 bloody degrees out.......:hot: but I am happy for your Marshmallow Christmas.....only wish I had been there to join in on the chorus!