Christmas thread...plans?

BusynMember

For me I've been working so much that it doesn't feel like Christmas at all. But it's here. Today early husband and I went last minute shopping. Tomorrow Sonic, Jumper and Jumpers boyfriend are coming over as is my sister in law and her husband. We're cooking a non traditional meal because we are non traditional.

Next week some of us are driving to Chicago for a second Christmas with Princess and Little Princess.

I am happy to see everyone, but it doesn't feel like a holiday to me at all.

What's going on with you?

PiscesMom

The girls and I are going to go see Fantastic Beasts the new JK Rowling movie. Tomorrow we will open presents. Then my son will be over. Except my younger daughter is uncomfortable around him because of the past. I know he wants to be here, and my ex needs a break. So I thought he could come over a little later for his presents.
All of us are pretty serious introverts, so it will just be hanging out and eating, maybe watching RuPaul later w my older daughter, our new favorite show.
I moved far away from family (to be near my son) so there is no extended family drama or stress, which to me can be just having to go visit, lol!
Right now, today, I feel cautiously ok. My son and I are on good terms...right now, things are peaceful.
We will have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes...

Oh, and a year ago today I first discovered this site.

This Christmas I am thankful for ALL OF YOU HERE!!! Love, PiscesMom.

susiestar

Roll With It
I spent 2 days this week at my parents' house, baking with J and my niece. Today we were supposed to go to my inlaws for a celebration, but my hubby is sick. My stepmother in law is not healthy, so we don't want to take this cold/flu to her. We called and will go see them in January when he feels better. I think thank you is getting it too, so I chose not to go down with just the kids.

Tomorrow we are going to my parents. My brother will be joining us. Last year he skipped because he was very upset over things with his daugher and 'wasn't fit to be around anyone' in his words. This year he will be there. He came over last night and we had a very good time - no drama at all. It was amazing and very nice. We did 2 big Thanksgiving meals, so we are doing pizza for Christmas. NOT homemade! My mom's kitchen has seen enough of a mess this week! I think we made eight kinds of cookies over 2 days. Plus some candy.

KTMom91

It's been a tough month.

Drove to Los Angeles with my mom on Thursday for her brother's memorial service. Came home yesterday, and Miss KT and her hubby are here from Oregon for Christmas. We had our Christmas breakfast this morning instead of tomorrow, because my mom doesn't want everyone to eat a huge breakfast and not eat their turkey for lunch.

Going to Hubby's family tonight, my mom's tomorrow, sleeping in on Monday.

pasajes4

Went out with daughter and grands for lunch and gifts. I plan on doing nothing tomorrow. It is supposed to be gray, hot , and wet. A good day to stay in my jammies and binge watch schmaltzy Christmas movies.

Kathy813

Staff member
We are at Disney world as I type.
I got tired of trying to create a Norman Rockwell christmas that never happened in spite of my efforts. It is just my husband, both daughters, and me. We are having a blast.

I think our new Christmas tradition will be a trip.

BusynMember

Oh, Kathy, that sounds so fun at least to me. And I'm tickled that younger daughter is healthy enough to join you. I prefer small holidays to the big ones I once had with my ex.

Great for you and yours!

Lil

Not much. Will do church tonight and then see some lights. Tomorrow church and then Jabber's parents. At somr point we'll do a movie. That's it. No other plans.

Copabanana

Lil and Jabber, and everybody, Merry Christmas.

Thank you for everything.

I am watching Red River, with John Wayne. Alone. Feeling sorry for myself.

Lil

Lil and Jabber, and everybody, Merry Christmas.

Thank you for everything.

I am watching Red River, with John Wayne. Alone. Feeling sorry for myself.

Alone? I hope that was short term. :( I hope your today was better.

Merry Christmas.

Copabanana

Hi Lil

Merry Christmas

No longer alone, my son called (yay) and M unexpectedly came home to stay the night. He has been night and day at the hospital with his elderly father.

How are you and Jabber doing?

Lil

Hi Lil

How are you and Jabber doing?

Good really. I admittedly havd been in a mood this holiday; emotional, teary. We did not decorating, no tree, no lights, mostly because we have been sick, but that's not helped my Grinch mood. Yesterday Jabber went hunting and I was kind of down. We did the church thing last night and then again this morning, had breakfast and went to visit Jabber's folks. Talked to my son today. He got to spend last night and today at the house of the girl he's been seeing. Seemed rather content and I am much better, as most of my mood has been dwelling on my son being alone at Christmas. Tomorrow we're off and will hit a movie and do the usual housework. Then holiday over.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
We hosted Christmas here. We usually have 25 to 30 but this year it was just immediate family so there was only 9 of us. We had hoped it would be 10 with my mother in law but the nursing facility said it would be to risky as she has to be moved into her wheelchair with a hoist. She is in the process of dying and it's been a slow process. After we had dinner here we loaded up all the desserts and went to the nursing facility to share with her. She was not in good shape and my poor nieces were so upset to see her in the condition she is in. All in all it was a good day, much to be grateful for.
I did send my son a message on FB wishing him a Merry Christmas and asking how he's doing. Still waiting for a response.

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and wishing you all a happy and healthy New Year!
:snowman2::happy_new_year:

pasajes4

My Christmas was better than expected. I visited youngest at his facility. They had decorated the cottage and made a Texas Christmas feast. There were lots of people visiting their loved ones. The residents made homemade tamales and they smoked brisket, sausage, chicken, ribs, and had made all of the sides. One of the families brought deserts. I brought drinks an a Christmas pinata stuffed with candy and travel size toiletries. The residents made gifts in the woodshop. My son made a cross and burned a scripture on it. It was the first gift he has ever given me. It was a lovely day. I am glad that I changed my mind about going.

Sometimes doing what you did not want to do can turn out to be the blessing that you needed.

donna723

I was sooo not in to it this year! I didn't even put up the tree this year for the first time ever. It seems like it's more stressful every year, more money juggling, trying to get everything. But every year my son and I drive 600,miles to S. Carolina to spend Christmas with my daughter, sister in law, and grandson who is now seven. This is usually the only time we get to see them. And while neither one of us enjoys the long car ride down there, the time we get to spend with them is lovely. And the weather was ridiculously warm for December! I meant to turn off the heat before we left but forget. We csme back to a house

donna723

(con't) house so hot, we had to open all the windows and turn on the fans. But I've got my dogs back from the puppy sitter and slept in my own bed last night so all's right in my own little world again.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
We had our Christmas dinner here. I had a cold the previous week and wasn't feeling up to par, so I began systematically taking some of my usual plans off of my plate and asking my daughter to help. Wow. I've cooked most holiday meals for over 40 years and honestly, many, many times I ran myself ragged trying to create that perfect Norman Rockwell, Hallmark kind of day. I made a simple meal this time (Lasagna) that I prepared ahead of time, and the day before it was so strange NOT to be running around, that I thought I MUST have forgotten many things I was supposed to do!

The day came and it was the most enjoyable Christmas because I could relax, hang out and enjoy my family. I just let it all go! My daughter helped do most of the cleanup. My daughter's friend who always comes to our holiday meals said that he loved coming over to our home because he feels so welcomed and comfortable here and that it was a "loving environment".......which in many ways was the highest compliment I could have received.

I got to see that all of the previous massive efforts I put in to these kinds of events was unnecessary, folks just wanted to feel that comfort and love.......and I understood, maybe for the first time, that it was "enough." 'I am enough'.....which turns out to be a pretty big change for me on SO many levels......:)