chrysanthemums

peg2

Hi,
I will be decorating my moms and sisters graves and want to know if I just buy the mums in the pots and don't plant them in the ground, would they stay pretty for awhile? I am fighting breast cancer and don't have the energy to dig up ground!!!! I am putting some pumpkins and gourds also.
Thanks

LittleDudesMom

Hi Peg,

sorry for your personal struggle - how wonderful to be thinking of others while you go through your own pain - if you want the mums to last for a while, make sure you buy a couple pots that haven't bloomed yet. You should get a number of weeks if you choose mums with tiny little buds - the plant will be a nice dark green. The only downside would be no rain.

I'm sure the combo of the mums and gourds will be lovely and seasonal. Strength and positive thoughts.

Sharon

Mums and gourds are perfect. I'm sorry for what are going through at the moment. I went through breast cancer treatrment 12 years ago, sending support and hugs.

I don't know where you live, but would the mums in the pot blow over? Soon it may get windy, just a thought. Maybe there is something like a small stake you can put through everything.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Nice choices for the plants and gourds, very thoughtful..............and sending a supportive hug and some caring healing vibes for you...................

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Would another family member or a friend be kind enough to do the digging for you?

I'm thinking of a blustery fall day blowing the pots over. As long as rain isn't an issue they ought to be fine for quite a while. (I've procrastinated in planting and not had issues in the past except with the blowing over part)

Nichole and I planted mums for mother in law & father in law and Fred. I thought she was going to do the digging part.........but Oliver needed chasing after and so I let her do that while I dug. We were lucky to pick a day that it had rained the day before. It made the soil softer and a breeze to dig.

Sending warm (((hugs))) and keeping you in my prayers.

peg2

I put the gourds and pumpkins and will have my son help with the digging. You really have to put them in the ground, they won't last any other way.
I also put a statue of St.Dymphna on my moms headstone. For those of you who are Catholic she is the patron saint of those afflicted with mental and anxiety disorders. I super-glued it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She so worried about my difficult child and I don't know what else to do.
Thanks for the good wishes and suggestions.

TerryJ2

Peg, I am so sorry you are battling breast cancer. been there done that. (As so many of us here have.) You are right not to want to dig right now. I thought I could go right back to painting and got up on a ladder to work on a mural and got stuck there for what seemed an eternity, because I reached over and nearly fell and had to stand in an awkward and painful position and hope I could slowly straighten up and make it down the ladder. It was such a disappointment and a wakeup call.

I can't tell you how many times I looked out the window and wanted to dig in the dirt. And I was certainly not thinking about my family's graves, either.

I'm glad you got some helpful responses here.
Heal quickly!
P.S. I was raised Catholic and never head of St. Dymphna. We never even talked about mental and emotional afflictions.
The grave decor sounds beautiful. Good choice.