Cleaning Shelves...long past due, lol

DDD

I haven't replaced by shelf paper in a long time. That is the chore of the week. Any suggestions on the easiest maintenance etc. type of shelf paper. I honestly haven't even looked at what is available in 2009 so figure you guys might be able to save me the shopping aspect. I truly hate to shop! DDD

mstang67chic

Going Green
Without knowing what the inside of your shelves are like I would suggest are the rolls of the non slip shelf lining. They are a rubber type material, cheap and come in various colors. They stick but don't have adhesive so it's easy to remove and clean. They sell them by the roll at Walmart and other stores so you can cut to fit.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
A few years ago I was at Lowes or Home Depot and got an idea - I bought a couple of pieces of that plastic they use in florescent lights and SO cut them (carefully) to fit my cabinets. It was a little more expensive, but I dont have to ever change the paper again - I just wipe :)

Marcie

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I like the rubbery matting as well. You can just lift it out to clean under it and replace it as soon as the shelf is dry.

If you cut a good sized scrap of it and save it, that type of matting also makes a dandy jar-opener.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
The previous owners of our house lined the cabinets (non-laminated particle board shelves) with linoleum floor tiles (the self-stick type). They are very easy to keep clean and have worked very well for us for the past 19 years!

DDD

You guys are so smart! I didn't know about the rubber. That sounds easiest. Now.......all I have to do is get motivated! ;) Thanks. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
After last year's mouse debacle, I stripped and relined all my cabinets and shelves...with the old fashioned contact paper. I love them! Easy to wipe clean and they aren't all scratched up.

However, that said, when H and I are finally able to afford new cabinets in the way of a kitchen re-do, I will be placing the peel and stick floor tiles inside. My friend has them and they are the easiest to clean of all and they last a long long time.

We have the rubber liner at work and I don't care for them much because they discolor and get kind of gummy if anyone puts stuff away wet.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Another use for the rubber matting type stuff.....you can cut a piece to size and put it under child car seats in cars with leather seats to keep the seat from sliding around. It won't interfere with the use of the seat and will keep it in place.

busywend

I painted mine. When I told my mom that was what I wanted done she looked at me like I had 2 heads. I love it. Just wipe it down and good as new.