cleaning shower curtain

N

Nomad

I've got a pastel color shower curtain. I bought it at Walmart. It is not super duper heavy. I love the color. I've had it up for perhaps 2-3 years. We don't use that shower much. However, it is time for sure to wash it. What is the best way to wash this shower curtain? In the past, I've put them in the w. machine, but did not dry them. Since it is light colored and a little on the thin side, I hesitate to do this. Perhaps it would be fine...I dunno. Does anyone have any thoughts???? Thanks.

tawnya

I always wash mine with some towels, to help scrub it clean. But, then, we have really hard water and it gets pretty nasty sometimes.

klmno

It depends on the material- if it's cloth the washing machine should be fine with cold water- whatever you do, don't put vinyl in the dryer but you probably know that already. I'm with ML, though, I have a shower curtain for the looks on the outside and a liner for the "inside". I just replace the liner when it starts to look dirty or moldy. The outside curtain can be washed off with a cloth usually.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Martha Stewart said to get a large wash tub - and soak it with some Borax and detergent. Then hang over a line and rinse with a hose. Let air dry. But she has people to do this for her.

I'm with Witz. I know I throw the plastic liner in the washer with towels like tawnya does and a cup of bleach to get any mildew off. About once a month - I haven't had to replace the liner in about a year.

trinityroyal

I have a fabric shower curtain for decoration and a vinyl liner to keep the water where it belongs.

I usually wash the fabric curtain in the washing machine in cold water on delicate, with a cup of borax in the water to take care of any stains. I wash the vinyl one in the washing machine as well. Regular cycle, cold water, with a cup of white vinegar in the water and a few old towels to help absorb the gunk that comes off the curtain in the wash cycle.

I use the air-dry setting on the dryer for the fabric curtain, and simply hang the vinyl liner back in place still wet.

I used to have a treated cloth shower curtain with no vinyl liner (fabric felt kinda waxy, and was waterproof), and I used to wash it the same way I do my current fabric one.