Clearing out the difficult child records!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
On Saturday I decided to tackle my bedroom bookshelves and file cabinets. I had so much clutter in there and it was really overwhelming whenever I had to find some scrap of important paper.

As I was going through my old personal records, I of course stumble upon difficult child's [GIANT] school folders filled with letters, evaluations, records, pictures, DR notes, medical records, etc., dating back to kindergarten! What to do with it all, right? Well, I cleaned it all out and kept only the pertinent records and evaluations and letters...detailing the beginnings of her troubles in school and diagnosis, of course, along with some interesting teacher's comments/notes, and other things. But I was able to get rid of CT sepcial ed booklets (I had 3!) and advocacy resource booklets. I am not sure what to do with them - I was considering giving them to the a local women's shelter or library.

I packed everything for each daughter into separate giant accordian folders that close and labeled them. I separated some things for my personal memory box in the basement and all the pictures. I created a separate folder for each of their HS graduations and cards, etc. I chronolized everything for each of them so that one day if they want to, they can go back and look at it all...it may help EACH of them to have a better understanding of their childhool educational careers, haha.

Anyway, I can't tell you what a relief it was...IS...to not have to deal with any more of that Special Education, public school educational BS anymore. To not have to save every scrap of paper, every teachers note of comment; to never have to deal with another school evaluation - how freeing!! How wonderful to have an entire 2 shelves for my own personal stuff!! I can fill them with perfume or all my lovely books or nothing at all, but definitely not difficult child's school stuff anymore.

I'm organized. I feel like I've gotten back a small peice of who I used to be before difficult child demanded my life. Wow.

judi

Wow! What an accomplishment! I wish I had the ability to do this. However, I just can't at the moment. It is all stored in one folder though...lol.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I actually had difficult child help me carry the boxes downstairs and she asked what was in the giant folder/box...I said, "Umm, that's all your school/medical records!" - she made the big-eyed face! Hahaha!

sameold sameold

Wow,
I have a whole room full of desks, filing cabinets, etc. I am looking for the energy to do that. Sounds like a plan, when I can locate the energy,that is buried somewhere under the rubble. LOL

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Using an empty laundry basket really helped me stayed focused from some reason, rather than using a garbage bag - I guess maybe as I saw it filling up I was motivated to keep going?

I've always toyed with the idea of starting a business where I would organize offices or kitchens, closets, etc. But I'm highly allergic to cats and almost all dogs, so it's kind of out of the question. It would stink to be called by client after client and have to turn down the work (not very good for word of mouth). Anyway, for years I lost my organizational skills with all the madness of raising difficult child. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel, however.

I'm so happy that the day has finally come when you can take back a small piece of your life!!! It's got to be one of the best feelings ever!!!

I'm glad you're going on a vacation soon. You definitely deserve a break and some fun!!!

I know I'll be celebrating big time when I can finally do the same!!!

You are now starting on a brand new chapter of your life. I hope you get to take back even bigger pieces of your life soon!!! WFEN

'Chelle

I'm glad you were able to get a little organization into your life and some of that stuff filed away and out. I'm counting the days LOL.