Clonidine - any experiences with this?

B

BeachPeace

Blue has raged for 2 days straight - up to 3 solid hours of screaming at a time. The only trigger I can even think of is the fact that we have been packing for vacation. (he was in foster care in his early years)
His NeuroDoc wants him to start Clonidine at bedtime - I will pick it up today. I remembered from my working RN days that it is a medication for hypertension..... Not sure i have ever heard it used in kiddos like mine, but then again with the exception of this board - I don't know anyone else with kids like mine.
After some deep use of my googling skills I did see where it has been used in PTSD? Anyone have any experience with this?
I am scard to add another medication but equally scared not to do something
He was throwing and breaking dishes yesterday - sigh

H

HaoZi

It has an off label use of curbing aggression in some people. We use clonidine at night and the extended release version (Kapyvay) in the morning. It does help her get to sleep, which in and of itself can help.

T

TeDo

It calms my difficult child and helps him sleep. We used it as a PRN for a while but it knocked him out so we quit that (can't sleep through school).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It really helped in keeping rages at bay or at the very least, lessening their severity. It also helped her to sleep at night. Falling asleep wasn't so much of a problem, but remaining asleep was and the clonidine helped. In regards to therapy, I would say that the clonidine kept her calm enough so that during a therapy session she was able to stay present and not fall to pieces (and rendering the session useless). She was on it for approximately 3 years. Due to her low blood pressure and other issues, she was switched off of it and onto risperdal instead, which was also helpful in the same regards, however, it had adverse side effects for my difficult child and had to be discontinued.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Both kt & wm took clonodine for many years. It was remarkably effective for the tweedles ~ for sleep & for help with rages & hours long meltdowns. I hope this works for your difficult child, Beach.

keista

No personal experience, but I've been investigating it for sleep and anxiety. Seems it's used for ADHD as well.

vchaffin

my 3 yr old has been on it for over a yr now to help her sleep. Severe case of night terrors going on 2 1/2 yrs all night long every night. within 30 minutes shes asleep, just doesn't keep her asleep on a bad night. I've not seen a change in her throughout the day though.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child first used it to help him sleep. He now uses it to help with his ADHD symptoms. It definitely helps him.

TerryJ2

Welcome, BeachPeace.
We have had very good luck with-Clonidine. As others have mentioned, it is used off-label for kids for stress and anxiety, and also as a sleep aid.
Best of luck!