Collards? Greens? recipes please

buddy

Not sure I'm spelling that right but q had some at school and now wants me to make some. Not even sure what kind of "greens " but he said thats what they were called.
He said they smelled icky but tasted great. Anyone have an idea? He said they didn't have bacon....(I was asking what waz.in.it) but he said the juicy part was good.

If you have any cooked "greens" recipes please let me know so I can go shop this afternoon. Thanks!

Jody

I make my own, but I also use Morning Glory Seasoned Collard Greens. They are already seasoned and so much easier and very very good. I rarely make my own anymore, and you have to clean and wash the regular greens, and it takes a ton of them to make a pot. I general put sometype of pork in the pot and use salt and pepper to taste.

DDD

I make my own, too. It's a little tricky because you have to buy fresh small greens to make sure you have tenderness and the right flavor. You have to strip the sides and toss away the stems. Usually I simmer water and a hunk of fat back or a big piece of bacon for an hour or so and then add the greens til they are tender. Some people add a little crushed red pepper. The flavored water, flavors the greens.

on the other hand I buy fresh organic spinach, strip the stems, put olive oil and crushed garlic in the bottom of the pan, add the spinach and it's ready pdq. Maybe if he liked collards he will like spinach too. All greens really cook down fast so the pkg of organic only serves two. Alot of people add diced bacon but I don't. That's great he is open to a new taste bud treat.
DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
* runs up and hugs buddy *

I've been dying to know ways to cook them for years! Had a neighbor who fixed them a lot due to them being a family favorite. (not sure which ones now been too many years) Nichole feel in love with them as a toddler......and I got hooked because of her.

So I'm going to be writing all this down too. :)

Jody

DDD,

I love spinach cooked that way, and I also sometimes add a red pepper and mushrooms, then you can pour it over some bowtie pasta and it's a meal.

DammitJanet

Southern collard greens...take notes.

Wash them well.
Cut out the middle vein.
roll up the remaining leaves so you can cut into ribbon sized strips.
put all the cut up collards into a large pot with several cups of water and then put the lid on. You want to steam them till they are soft so this will take about an hour and a half to two hours.

When that is done, fry up some regular breakfast sausage into crumbles. Hot or mild whichever you prefer.

Drain collards.

Put sausage and its fat back into the pot that the collards were cooked in and put the collards back into the pot. Add a little bit of water to the pot and cook for about 20 more minutes.

Serve with jiffy cornbread.

buddy

Perfect! Q is gonna be so happy. I'm trying all of this and today I have to start with spinach because the store had no decent collard greens. I looked for the Morning Star kind and there were none. Maybe they don't sell well this far up north?

DDD

Oops...just thought of something. Remember that garlic can call "belly gas" so don't go too heavy. I'm eager to hear what he thinks. DDD

PS: With collard greens, spinach and other greens alot of people now just use chicken broth to avoid the less healthy pork. Of course I LOVE pork but it's on my no no list now...sigh!