Colonoscopy prep headache~~

wakeupcall

Ok, what can I do to make my head feel better? All day today I've not eaten, just drinking clear liquids, and I have one H*LL of a headache. Tomorrow is my colonoscopy (Ahhhhhhhhhhhh) and I'll be glad when it's over. I'm being good to myself and it's the last round of my physical. My mother died of colon cancer a few years ago and I've yet to have one (shame on me..). Anyway, I thought someone might have a cure that doesn't involve eating something.

skeeter

we refer to these as husband's "photo opportunities". His mother died of colon cancer very young, and he's has some precancerous polyps removed, so we're really used to all this (he finally got the ok for only doing every 3 years now). My dad also died of colon cancer, but he was much older and it probably wasn't the hereditary type.

Could you try some of the Head ON stuff (I hate those commercials)?

Lavender is supposed to be helpful to headaches.

Otherwise, I agree, cold and low light.

At least you know it will be all over tomorrow......

DDD

Speaking of colonoscopy prep...do any of you all get pills to
swallow instead of that God/awful liquid to drink? The liquid
literally makes me toss my cookies (or lack thereof) and I want
to be able to say to the MD "I will go a week without food OR I
will swallow a zillion pills BUT I will not/can not drink that
wretched stuff again." I am sure I had a Wisconcin relative who
took pills. Anyone?? I'm sorry, by the way, about the headaches but I
have no experience with that side effect. A dark, quiet room
and a cool washcloth accross my eyes used to help when I did have
migraines decades ago. Hugs. DDD

wakeupcall

Hey, thanks for the ideas. No, of course I'm NOT looking forward to it, but it beats having it and not knowing till it's too late. My doctor said usually by the time you have symptoms, it's too late. My mom had symptoms, lived five years after the diagnosis, but it wasn't a pretty five years....chemo, surgeries, radiation, etc. You know the drill. I honestly am glad I'm doing this and wish I'd done it sooner. I have no reason to be doing it other than it's what I need to do to stay healthy. He told me if all is okay, I don't have to have one except every five years...even with a family history. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Now...I'm off to try some of your remedies for my headache...

wakeupcall

DDD, this stuff is called "Halflytely", rather than the original "Go-litely". It consists of four pink pills and ONLY half a gallon of the liquid. It used to be no pills and drink a gallon of the stuff. It says no taste, but I haven't done the drinking part yet, just the pills. Fun.

Nancy

Good for you Pamela. My dr has been trying to get me to have one for years now. husband has done it but I am not looking forward to the prep. I have enough digestive problems with my lactose intollerance that I just have a difficult time willingly going through that prep.

But I am proud of you!

Nancy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There is actually an all pill prep but it involves taking a dozen or so pills. My mother, who has to toss her head back to swallow pills literally whiplashed herself taking all those pills.

I told her she was lucky she wasn't bipolar, LoL

tiredmommy

Nancy, I'm 39 and just had my 2nd colonoscopy last summer due to health problems I've had since I was eighteen. I've got to tell you that as bad as the prep was, it was nothing compared to worrying about the unknown. It's not as bad as you think will be.

wakeupcall

NOW you tell me, TM! I've started drinking this stuff and UGH....it's pretty gross. I'm not a drinker anyway, of water I mean. I just don't drink very much of anything, so trying to get down a half gallon of this stuff (8 oz. every 10 min.) is aaaawwwfffuuuullll. Sure wish I'd known about the pills. I wonder why he didn't offer that when I told him I have trouble drinking so much??

Kathy813

Staff member
I used a flavored liquid that I was able to mix with sprite (at least I think that's what I did ~ it was three years ago). Whatever it was really wasn't as nasty as I had heard it was going to be.

The prep is the hardest part, though. The doctor used twilight sleep for the actual procedure and I remember nothing about it. I feel asleep and when I woke up it was all over!

I ate a light lunch afterwards and then took a nice nap that afternoon.

You'll do fine.

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
You have my sympathies, Pamela. I haven't had one of those tests because of witnessing my then 260# husband gag over the concoction he had to drink. I knew there was no way I could do the same.

I've heard from everyone who's had the test that the prep (tonight) is the worst thing about it. Good luck tomorrow.

Hugs,
Suz

wakeupcall

Thanks for the support, everyone. The way I see it...the evening is almost over and the appointment. is at 8:00 AM...so I'm on the downhill side!

Yes, Suz, the liquid is gross. I'm drinking it holding my breath and without breathing, start drinking a juice glass full of Sprite when I finish each glass of globbildy-:censored2:. I WILL get through this.

SRL

It's too late to be of any help now, but barely warm homemade chicken broth was the only liquid I could cope with.

The colonoscopy wasn't bad...but as they're walking you back to the prep area they have a shadowbox display with a display of endoscopes used since the advent of the field (translastion: huge!). They didn't hold much appeal, even for me who rarely turns aside from a chance to soak up a little history.

Good luck today and good choice!

DDD

Thanks for the pill info. I am printing this right now and I will NOT lose it. I can not do the fluid method again and I do
need to sign up. If I have to take thirty pills and sit on the
potty all night...I won't complain. I just can't handle hurling!

on the other hand, I absolutely believe that the afternoon sleep after the
procedure is worth mega bucks. Geez it is so wonderful to sleep like a baby for a whole afternoon! DDD

wakeupcall

I MADE IT!!!! It was no fun, but at least it's over. I got to the surgi-care about 8:00 AM and was home by 10:30. The center employees (nurses, anesthesiologists, etc.) were terrific and I never saw the doctor. By the time they took me in for the procedure, they knocked me out quickly and when I awoke it was over and he had moved on to the next colonoscopy. After getting home and "thinking" I felt fine, the pain set in. It was all air that was causing the pain. It was explained that after the cleansing the day before, the colon collapses, so to inspect it they have to blow it up, thus the uncomfortable air. I was on the sofa most of the day, but when the pain was finally gone (about 6:00 pm) I felt fine, though hungry. The best part about the whole thing...........NO Polyps, NO nuthin'!!! He said it was perfectly clear and says I don't have to have another for five years. Friends, that is music to my ears since my mother died of colon cancer! I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief! I expected at least some suspicious polyps, but there was nothing! Hey, I'm a testimonial that eating properly can make the difference. My mother and father both smoked, drank, and ate very poorly. They both died a very untimely, early death. It pays to take care of yourself as much as possible.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
That's great news, Pamela. I'm so glad you followed it through and got this peace of mind. Excellent! :bravo:

Suz

DDD

Glad it is history for you. Sorry you had "bubble" isues. I'm
like Kathy.......I sleep like a fat and sassy baby ALL afternoon.
LOL. DDD