Colonoscopy today

flutterby

Fly away!
All in all it wasn't too horrible. The prep was way better than the prep I had to do 9 years ago for an IVP. However, my tummy really doesn't like to have liquids in it with no solid food. :sick:

The doctor said he didn't see anything with the naked eye, but with my history he went ahead and took a few biopsies. He said I should have them back later this week; one of the nurses said next week. All I know is that at some point, I was in a lot of pain during the procedure (I don't remember any of the rest of it) and they were telling me it was from the air they blow in to expand the colon. I personally wonder if it was when he was taking tissue for the biopsy. And the cramping after wasn't so nice, but it's much better now. They talked like they just use a little puff of air. I think they were trying to inflate a hot-air balloon. :faint:

They said that the procedure would be anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. I laughingly said that it will take longer than that for me - just based on history. And it did: 45 minutes. :rofl: :hammer:

I have already scheduled an appointment with my GP for late next week to discuss everything.

Just wanted to update.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So it really wasn't too bad? The thought is so nerve wracking!
I am glad they think they didn't see anything.
It is better just to be cautious with the biopsy.
Rest for the day and let your poor tummy have a break and the other side. ;)

Glad it went pretty well.

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh!

And I was going to absolutely starve to death yesterday. So, I come to the board to distract myself and there's a thread about Sharon's difficult child's non-stop eating and Susie's thread for a girlfriend bread recipe. :hammer:

NOT FAIR!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay so all in all not that bad. And now when someone says you are full of hot air....;) no no no. :laugh:

I hope they don't find anything, but then if they don't where do they go from there? I can't imagine anyone going through this and describing it as not painful. You are very brave. Take a day and then find something really bad to eat - like......a doughnut. :tongue:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ooooh, I hope you can keep the sandwich and brownies down! After my scope(s) I am pretty nauseous for most of the day. Made the mistake of stopping for lunch on the way home from my last one, and after just a few forkfuls, husband was watching me dash for the bathroom...

I've had the pain as well -- it's partly the air, partly the twists and turns they have to snake the scope around. Next time, ask for more juice to knock you out. :)

I hope the biopsies give you some answers. Do you know if they were able to get into the small bowel at all? Just curious... there are some disorders that primarily affect that portion of the gut.

Glad the worst is over! (P.S. Save some brownies for MEEEE!!!)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pass the brownies....
No do not pass the brownies
Pass me the brownies
NO DO NOT PASS ME THE BROWNIES
PASS ME THE BROWNIES

DO NOT PASS ME THE BROWNIES

I miss brownies:sad-very:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Glad the prep wasn't too bad for you....that was the worst for me. But...I wasn't having the issues you are so I'm sure that factors in. I don't want you to get bad news but I'm hoping they find something so you can get on with taking care of it. Know what I mean??

DammitJanet

Glad they didnt see anything visually. That is good news. I remember when Jamie went through this and it was really quite scary.

rejectedmom

Glad it was not too bad. I did my first one last summer and aside from not being able to eat and my blood sugar so low my head was pounding it was alot better than I thought it would be. -RM

nvts

When husband had his last year he got mad at me because I wanted to write "DO NOT ENTER" across his "cheeks" with a red felt tipped marker.

"Like OMG, I'm like, so, like, immatuuure!"

Glad it went well!

Beth

flutterby

Fly away!
My blood sugar did drop because I couldn't eat and I had a horrible headache most of the day Sunday and up until the scope on Monday. I guess the fentanyl they use in the sedation took care of it.

GCV - He said he tried to get into the small bowel, but couldn't. And I was really hoping he could because on the CT scan they saw something vague with the right ovary. From what I can tell - and he confirmed it - is that the right ovary and the ileum are in the same place.

I kept the food down just fine. It was when I could only have liquids that I was throwing up. My tummy really doesn't like that. And I did throw up as soon as I got home (before I ate), but I think it was because the cramping was just so bad. I'm telling ya, they tried to inflate a hot air balloon.

N

Nomad

Glad all looks okay.

Ya know...I thought the prep was horrid.

The actual procedure day ... more or less okay. I don't remember a thing.

However, the next day I was really fatigued. I never thought about the blood sugar thing...that makes sense.

All in all...its not tooo hideous...

I'm glad it is over though and I bet you are as well!!!!

crazymama30

I am glad the procedure went well, and hope it gives some good info to help you. It is hard not to have answers.

If they want to see the small intestine it may be good to get an endoscopy. Starts at the other end and I think they usually are able to get to the small intestine, but I don't know how far down they get.

Last edited: