Computer experts needed

Nancy

A few months ago I began having several problems while web browsing.

-- blue rotating circle when trying to load page and screen locks up

-- when going between web sites, one page overlaps the other and I end up with half a page from both sites

--on some web sites what looks like computer html code it in the place of graphics and even overlaps text on the page making it unreadable

This only happens when I am on aol and I know I should not use it but I have all my bookmarks and my email and I have used it forever and never had a problem. I have a Dell XPS 15z and it has plenty of memory and the fact that it doesn't happen on IE makes me think it's an aol problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

InsaneCdn

I'd say it's an AOL problem... by default. because AOL is known to be full of problems.

(not that IE doesn't have problems, but... they tend to be more consistent and somewhat "debuggable" as in you can figure out what you did to make xxx happen, usually)

trinityroyal

I would say -- copying your bookmarks and whatnot to a non-AOL browser, and then give up AOL.

Some browsers such as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome have really good tools for copying bookmarks from other browsers. In AOL, look for a menu option such as "export favourites" or "save bookmarks" or something like that. Save them as a .html file if that's an option. Make sure that you save the file somewhere you can find again later. Once you've installed Chrome or Firefox, there will be a menu item called "import bookmarks" or something like that. Follow the instructions on your screen and you should have a list of your existing favourites and pages in the new browser.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

trinityroyal

Oh... for the e-mail, there's usually a way that you can save your e-mail contacts and archive your messages. If you're planning to go that route, then Google Chrome might be a better choice of browser, since it integrates nicely with gmail.

DammitJanet

I was going to say pretty much what everyone else said. Run from AOL! I do have an aim email but I wouldnt use anything else from there.

I am not a fan of IE but either Firefox or Chrome are good browsers. Personally right now I am using Chrome almost all the time and every now and then go to Firefox.

R

runawaybunny

Whatever browser you choose make sure you keep it updated. Chrome and firefox update themselves automatically in the background, I'm not sure if IE or AOL's browser updates itself or if you have to update manually.

New versions of browsers are usually faster, more secure and more likely to be compatible with current services than older browsers. For example Google is now dropping support for ie9 http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/11/google-drops-support-for-ie9.html

I also suggest trying chrome and/or firefox.

If you really love aol's browser make sure you have their latest http://daol.aol.com/software/aoldesktop97/

InsaneCdn

Don't try chrome or firefox unless you REALLY know what you are doing and know how to protect your privacy using apps that are 100% STORED ON THE INTERNET (chrome is 100% cloud based, not sure about firefox)

DammitJanet

I have hated IE for years now. I went to Firefox probably 10 years ago or so. I started using Chrome because Google and gmail are something that I use almost constantly. Chrome also translates over to the smartphones easily. I just got a Windows 8 computer and they want to push IE on you but I refuse! I am thinking...possibly...of getting a Windows phone for my next one but Im not convinced yet. I think I would miss my android apps too much.

DammitJanet

I wonder how many of us on the board got Windows 8? I am a tad bit happier with the update to Windows 8.1 but its still a strange format. The only reason I actually did this was because my old laptop was on its last legs. Only one of the USB ports worked and the dvd wouldnt pop out half the time. I would have bought a new laptop with Windows 7 but the one I wanted was a touch screen and that is about pointless if not using the Windows 8.

DammitJanet

LOL.....I have an old computer not in use that is Win 98 I think...maybe Vista, I cant remember because I havent turned it on in forever.

svengandhi

OMG! I need to have this thread translated into English. I have NO clue what you ladies are talking about. Don't try to explain it. This computer was programmed by my work and I just use what they put on it.

Nancy

Thanks for all the good information ladies. Yes I've cleaned out files, run scans, deleted my printer and reinstalled along with updated drivers since I can no longer print from web sites. I'm fairly certain it is a setting that got messed up by an automatic update somewhere. I've made a little progress on the printer problem but it looks like for some reason my computer no longer things I'm the administrator sinec I have to keep going and rechecking the "run as administrator" item in IE.

DammitJanet

Oh that irritates me so much! My old laptop did that to me constantly and wouldnt let me update certain things. I made darn sure that this one knows who's boss!

Now Im just trying to figure out how to change my picture password...lol. For those who have no idea what Im talking about, in Windows 8 they let you either type in a password or make certain marks on a picture to access the computer. I want to change mine because evidently I made mine too accurate.

Nancy

Lol Janet, I think I'll wait for windows 9. I did fix one thing, I can now print from web pages. I downloaded the update to IE..IE11. While I usually don't update until it has been tested for months and bugs worked out I thought it couldn't get any worse. Guess what? It fixed my printing problem. I knew it had to be some setting that was blocking communication but I didn't know what. Now if I could fix this darn pop up that keeps asking me if I want to let something update my hard drive I'd be happy. I also think I fixed the freezing problem somewhat by doing something to the compatibility of the browser.

Little by little I'm getting things fixed. I think I won't let anything automatically update anymore.