Computer lockdown 101 - lesson 2

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
So now that I learned how to automatically shut the computer down at a certain time every night when difficult child is on it, I thought I'd go a step further. How to make sure she didn't erase the browsing history so I can see what she's surfing. I think she was deleting "bad sites" from the internet browser history - but 2 can play at that game!

I created a gmail account through google. I sign onto my account before difficult child gets on the computer. When I check in the morning, I go to the top toolbar and click on Google tools. From there I click "special buttons" and click on history. It asks me for my gmail password and gives me a detailed layout of every site she visited. There is no way for difficult child to get in and mess with it because she doesn't have my password and is completely unaware that I can check the history that way. I win!!!! It works perfectly and I am quite excited!!!
:bigsmile::beautifulthing::dance::happyguy::irock::woohoo::jumphappy:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know about other operating system versions, but if you have Windows Vista, I believe you can do this through the Parental Controls feature. There is an Activity Reporting feature under the parental controls section. I believe this shows you everything other accounts have done or gone to. I'll have to check... my difficult child 1 is not savvy enough yet to know how to delete the browsing history. But then, I have also restricted his internet site access to only certain mom-approved sites as well as the time of day he gets to even use the computer. I hate having to be so controlling, but he has no self control, so it needs to be done.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK, I'm curious AND confused. How do you get the thing to shut down automatically?! (And I'm the computer geek at work, which is rather frightening... Shouldn't I know how to do this?) husband and I have been struggling with this, with both difficult children, for a couple of years...

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I have Windows xp - but it should all work the same. Click the start button and go to the control panel. There you will see an icon that says "Scheduled Tasks" . Click File, click, new task. A new task will be placed in that box. Click on it and make sure you are on the "task" tab. Type in Shutdown -s in the box that says run. Now click on the schedule tab and pick a time you want this to happen each day (8pm, 5pm, etc) and make sure "every 1 day" is checked off/marked there. THAT'S IT!! Isn't that beautiful!!! Everytime difficult child is logged on to the computer it will automatically shut down at that time every day. The only time it will not shut down is when difficult child is not logged on. I do not give difficult child the password, so when it shuts down, she cannot log back in as she doesn't have the password. I believe you can even set a password in the task tab so they can't change it in scheduled tasks. If you need help with history deletion see my post below. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to share this info - we will lock down difficult child's on computers one house at a time!!

Let me know if this helps

Dara

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thanks Dara... Sigh. I feel dumb, since I knew about that. Somewhat like the not seeing what's right in front of you.

We had the server set so that difficult child 1 could not log back in until a certain time. So what did she do? Locked the computer instead of logging off. Whenever I noticed this I shut it down. But I can't notice everything. If we'd done this too... Well.

I wonder if husband has the admin password to the laptop his mother just gave difficult child 1. We'll get THAT fixed too. (Mom is sweet but keeps trying to buy the kids' affection (ours, too). After we had told her NO LAPTOP she waited till husband went to work and I was at a union meeting, kids at dinner with her, gave difficult child 1 the laptop. GRRRRRR!)

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Isn't it sad that we have to act like McGuiver?!

At minimum difficult child keeps my brain going!

Sorry about your mom - she needs a time out!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, no - not MY mom.

husband's.

My Mom asks if there are any new rules, anything we've come up with, etc. Dad too.

Of course, it doesn't help that mother in law and father in law have been divorced for 20+ years, both tried to do with husband & sister in law what BM is doing to the difficult children. mother in law is a licensed counselor. You'd think...!

As a result... husband and I take mother in law with a grain of salt. father in law is much better. I told him early on I was having none of it and for the most part, he desists. Now if I can just get him to quit giving difficult child 1 heck for the volume of her music. Didn't he learn anything when husband and sister in law were that age?!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Sorry about the mom confusion!!
I see my mom about once every 5 years (only if I have to!) and so does my boyfriend (We're REALLY LUCKY!!)

difficult child sees grandma 1-3 times a year - (she's lucky too!)

My difficult child is a lesbian and a meaty girl - the last time my mom saw her difficult child came out to her and she replied,"So are you gay because you're big?"

Way to go mom!! And yes, my dad is a therapist!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know the old adage about the cobbler's kids going barefoot & the preacher's kids going to Hades?

Amazing isn't it.

At one point mother in law said she'd be willing to counsel the difficult children. husband for once didn't worry about hurting her feelings. He told her - he!! no!

Sigh...

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Daisy,
After living with difficult child this long I should maybe consider a new career path - Do people hire real life MacGuyvers? My title and slogan would be "difficult child Parent Services - how to effectively lock you house down in 10 easy steps!"

difficult child just doesn't get that I am older, smarter, sneakier, and more determined - I'll win this war if it kills me!

Dara

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL if you are on Verizon there are usage controls that will allow you to stop messages and calls for any period of time. difficult child 1 can't txt or call between 8am-2pm on school days and 10pm-6am school nights. She can always call my phone (on the same plan).

Can't turn it off, like Windows, but you CAN keep it from being used!

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I have Sprint - but I'll have to seriously look into that - that is too cool!!! These kids have no idea what they are up against!

Dara