Concerned about Duckie today.

tiredmommy

We all know that Duckie is, well, wound a little tight. ;)

She's been sick and just ended a run of oral steroids yesterday which makes her even more so. And she's stressed about mother-in-law.

She also takes her grades and school responsibilities pretty seriously.

So she takes viola lessons at school. She and two other girls have a pull-out Thursdays at the same time each week. They either miss science or social studies (the classes alternate daily). Her classroom teacher teaches Social Studies to their classroom and the fifth grade class next door. The next door teacher teaches science (the kids go back and forth between classes, alternating daily for this period). Kids with lessons are expected to make up work they have missed.

Got that?

It works pretty well for Duckie because she cares how she does in school so she keeps up with the missed work. She also practices viola almost everyday and is a high achiever in the music program.

So there is a group project assigned in science, it was due Tuesday. Science teacher had the three girls that have lesson together as a group (makes sense to me). Unfortunately, that group includes Duckie's bff and the other girl isn't strong academically. Duckie has been stressing about this project because she's had to help the other girl (not angry, just stressed that she had to put off her portion) and bff has screwed around so Duckie pretty much did her portion too. FWIW, the main presentation piece is an informational poster with the research they've gathered and it's supposed to be done in school. The other girl realizes that Duckie helped her a lot with her portion so she volunteered to assemble and decorate the poster so Duckie wouldn't have to help with that. The teacher also said that the groups could do something with multimedia if they wish for extra credit. Bff was all over that Duckie, frankly, thought they ought to concentrate on the essential parts of the project.

I took Duckie out early on Friday to get her to teh doctor and the other two took care of signing the group up for their presentation time. And the three girls got together at bff's and created a cute little tutorial video describing the info in their project.

Fast forward to Tuesday: Bff forgot the cd with the extra credit video. Teacher, seeing that the required portion was done, graciously allowed them to put off presenting their project until today.

So I bring Duckie to school this morning. We're waiting for her to go to class and she suddenly realizes that she has science class and viola at the same time. She was pretty stressed when I left her. :(

T

TeDo

Oh, poor Duckie. I get the stress and then to have a "scheduling conflict". Wow. I hope she handles it well and am glad she if finally feeling better. Let us know how it went.

DDD

I have always hated group projects. Somebody always drops the ball and somebody else has to assume the leadership role. Yuk.

Your Duckie is a smart cookie. I'm betting that you are worrying needlessly...at least I hope so, lol. DDD

cubsgirl

Aw, poor Duckie. Maybe she can present in the very first part of class then sneak out to her viola lesson. Prayers for lower stress.

B

Bunny

Is she able to miss viola lessons just for one day? I hope that when she comes home she's not too wound up from her day.

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. She needed to go to lesson today too because she is supposed to get her music and a few tips from the teacher for an upcoming soloist festival. We're on winter break so she will lose a lot of time if she doesn't get the sheet music.

DDD

So when is the group report scheduled? Glad she didn't miss her lesson and has time to prep. DDD

tiredmommy

Duckie went to class and pointed out the scheduling conflict. Bff wasn't very concerned but the other girl was and suggested that they talk to the music teacher. The other girl asked their classroom teacher for permission to run downstairs, which was granted. So, the three girls went and explained the situation to the music teacher, she said to tell science teacher about the conflict and ask to give the presentation at the very beginning of class and then head down to their lesson. I also left a quick voicemail for science teacher, who saw me at the end of the day and said she was very impressed with their problem-solving skills and said the presentation went well. Duckie said she was just relieved it's all over. ;)

TerryJ2

So I bring Duckie to school this morning. We're waiting for her to go to class and she suddenly realizes that she has science class and viola at the same time. She was pretty stressed when I left her.

Aaaargh! That's exactly how my day went today!

I agree with-InsanceCdn. Very real-life.

tiredmommy

So am I. I was very concerned that this was going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for Duckie and that she was really going to go off on bff.

T

TeDo

TM, it is GREAT that the girls problem solved. I think since the other girls were in the same boat and they ALL addressed it with the teachers it might have taken some of the edge off, Know what I mean?? Good for them. Isn't it a beautiful day when you prepare for the worst and the best really does happen?

Yay Duckie!!!

DDD

Duckie has taken yet another big stem toward stronger self esteem and maturity. That will be a building block for her future. She knows she can handle complex issues all by herself...that's priceless. So glad it went well. DDD