Concerta and Impulsivity

LoneStar14

I've been doing some research and read that concerta increases impulsivity. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

smallworld

The research I've done indicates that Concerta decreases impulsivity (and I saw it with my own son when he took Concerta). However, increased impulsivity can be a side effect of Concerta, which means you may be dealing with either the wrong medication, the wrong dose or the wrong diagnosis.

trinityroyal

I've been doing some research and read that concerta increases impulsivity. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this?

Like so many things, the reaction varies from child to child.
My difficult child was on concerta for a long time, and he had terrible problems with impulse control. It's hard to say, though, whether the concerta increased his impulsiveness, or whether it just didn't provide him with any focus or control to help combat it.

What the concerta did do was to increase difficult child's aggression and mania. He was originally identified as ADHD, so stims seemed to make sense and they did help him to focus. However, it turns out that the ADHD behaviour seems more likely to be the manic end of bipolar, so they were the wrong medications for him.

Sorry, I don't know if my response is any help at all. Just some random thoughts.

Trinity

looking4hope

Ditto Trinity's post. Concerta made my difficult child worse as far as impulsivity goes. I can now laugh at some of the things he said while he was on it, but back then it was mortifying!

susiestar

Roll With It
My difficult child was much less impulsive on concerta. It made him calmer. I think this is because he truely does have ADHD. For many, the ADHD diagnosis is given when problems first appear. Later, after tests are done, another diagnosis is given.

Concerta, as with all stimulants, can increase impulsivity in any person who does not have ADHD. It is only in people with ADHD that it decreases impulsivity and hyperactiveness. Something in the brain/body chemistry makes this so.

I know in children with bipolar that stimulants, like concerta, can increase cycling.

Each person reacts differently to each medication. The only way to know how a person will react is to try the medication.

I do believe that it is important to rule bipolar OUT before other issues are treated. My reasoning is that so many medications can make a child with bipolar cycle worse. It only makes sense to try the mood stabilizers first, to let the child have the chance to stabilize.

This is my opinion, and my experiences with my difficult child. It is different for each of us and even each of our kids.

LittleDudesMom

I will preamble this reply with the statement that all kids are going to react differently to stims. As another poster mentioned, if you are not getting the desired results, or you are getting negative results, either your difficult child is on the wrong medication or has the wrong diagnosis.

Concerta worked well with my son's impulsivity for awhile. He is ADHD/highly implusive-combined typed. The concerta made a positive difference immediately with him. No, things weren't perfect, but things didn't get worse. You may have to change medications.

Sharon