Condensed Soup

susiestar

Roll With It
I know many of us like casseroles - they are yummy, versatile, easy, don't take a lot of pans, and can fit almost any tastes (except the one where nothing can touch, lol). I have one problem that has kept us from trying quite a few casserole recipes that sound good. It is the condensed soup that they call for.

Lately husband, Jess and I find that we have eaten homemade, non-mix food to the point that our bodies sort of freak at the sodium in commercially prepared food. heck, I cannot even eat pepperoni - a lifelong favorite pizza topping. When I eat it I find i don't sleep well, my legs swell hugely and I cannot stop drinking liquids. I have the same reaction to mixes for cake, mac and cheese (the powder and the pouch kind) and many other things. I thought it was just me, but husband and Jess have had the same experiences. thank you doesn't, but he eats school lunch so is used to more sodium. It shocks me that husband experiences this because he can eat a big bag of chips in one sitting - and now he is noticing how he pays for that!

Anyway, I found a recipe for condensed soup mix that is far lower in sodium than the canned soup. I did try a low sodium canned soup - it tasted like library paste. Yuck.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/creamsoupmix.htm

Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup. You get the idea!
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1/4 tsp. white pepper
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients and mix well with wire whisk until blended. Store mix in an airtight container. To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1-1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Mix makes a total of nine cans condensed soup substitute.

The upfront cost might be more than a can of soup, but soups are hitting close to a dollar a can here, more if you want campbells, so this will be a money saver also. You can use any broth you like, or leave it out and use broth as the liquid when you prepare it. Personally that is my choice because dried broth powder is usually high in sodium and msg esp. I have always been sensitive to msg. That was the first food additive to cause problems for me, and is a huge reason I started to find ways to make my own mixes.

Let me know what you think of this, and post your favorite condensed soup containing casserole recipes!!!

I don't have a casserole recipe to post, so I will post my easy lemonade recipe here:

1 cup lemon juice, pref NOT reallemon brand because it has a funny taste that is NOT in the store brands or fresh squeezed, 2/3 to 1 cup of sugar or equivalent amt of sweetener, and enough water to make half a gallon. IF you want raspberry or other flavors, try adding some of the condensed fruit juices sold in the 12 oz can in the juice aisle of some groceries. It doesn't give a bright pink color but the flavor is wonderful. Jess and thank you made over $80 selling this from their lemonade booth after church in just one day a couple years ago.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thank you!

I have issues with sodium, too. The kids and husband don't, but I will go so far as to wipe the salt off of tortilla chips (I can't afford the unsalted kind usually - though they taste a LOT better).

I cook with a lot of garlic and onion, and the kids think I use salt. Hee hee!

One of my favorite casseroles actually doesn't use soup... I wasn't raised on casseroles, so most of them leave me cold.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
It's hot dish, ladies, hot dish (at least here in MN). Susie, cans of soup are closer to $1.50 here - just insane.

thanks for sharing this - I'm going to put it together & keep it in my pantry.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
With sodium kicking my *ss at every turn these days..........This is great! Although what is "white pepper?"

Used to be obvious salty things made me retain water, then just your adding salt thing........now just about anything with salt in it. Anything. Which is really annoying. We're not talking small amounts of water retention here either.....makes me have to go get my "fat" clothes out. Don't get me started on fast food. I so much as look at it anymore and I'm a balloon an hour or two later. Prepared foods I do pay for but not quite to the same degree, yet. and depends on what it is as I do watch what I'm buying. Cheese. That one threw me off balance. I mean maybe I'm stupid or never gave it much thought but cheese evidently is loaded with salt. duh But now I can taste it, really salty. So I had to cut cheese consumption down real low to which stinks as my dairy is already restricted and I used cheese to curb the craving.

Beef or chicken reduced sodium bullion granules........is that the cubes? I wonder if the reduced sodium would be low enough for me? I've been wondering how I can save beef and chicken broth when I make it.........Homemade I can can control how much salt goes in to it.

Veggies are starting to become fresh being tossed into fresher bags put in the freezer.....carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower anyway so far. Canned veggies bother me, but not as much yet as other things especially if I can keep the rest of the day's sodium down to bare minimum.

Thanks I can't wait to try this!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Many already-frozen veggies don't have anything added. Thank heavens! And in my experience, they are usually cheaper than fresh. I like fresh better, but... (Thank goodness for farmers' markets...)

Kroger and Meijer have low-sodium generic chicken and beef broth. It's still got some, but not as much.

I love taking the leftover part of a roast chicken, throwing it into a pot with a bunch of water, boiling it till the meat falls off the bones, then straining. I don't get a lot of beef broth made up. Sigh.