DammitJanet

I am going to reiterate one more time my point of this post.

I never said that a child is always CD or ODD and never any other diagnosis.

I never said to accept the first diagnosis a clinician gives.

I never said not to be supportive or point out other avenues to look into to a new member.

I simply said that it is doing a disservice given the name of this website to dismiss out of hand the fact that Conduct Disorder is a real diagnosis.

smallworld

Janet, I'm really not being a pain, but I honestly thought this website was called "Conduct Disorders," as in behavior disorders of all kinds. If I'm wrong, powers that be, please feel free to correct me.

And I agree with you that no one should dismiss any disorder out of hand.

meowbunny

As I said previously, I truly hesitated to post on this site because there was such a dismissal of CD and ODD as stand-alone diagnoses. It doesn't help to hear that Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) is also dismissed by some. I finally posted in the PE forum because there is less dxing there and I was in tremendous pain.

There is no question that the advice and support here are incredible. Recommending multi-disciplinary evaluations is a good thing. Suggesting that a second, third, fourth or even fifth opinion can be very valid. Reminding ourselves that the diagnosis of today can change as more is learned of psychiatric issues and as a child ages is a good thing. However, automatically pooh-poohing a diagnosis of ODD and CD as never standing alone is, I think, harmful.

I hope I've offended no one. I also hope that maybe this thread will make it a little easier for a newbie whose child is truly "only" ODD to feel s/he can post here and get help.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
One thing I found whether it was good or bad to others... is that this place has heped me face reality.
We are in a cr@ppy situation, all of us here... no-one is most likely treating us with kid gloves. And while this place for the most part is a "soft place to land" It also helps you get your :censored2: in gear as to the realities of what it is like out there. Especially with a newbie. Even though I come from a long line mental illness, most of us hadn't been in the system, so this was all new.
When I cam here I got the facts the brutal truths...and kindness. I also got my rhino skin here, being told to calm down, as I have seen others told as well. Sometimes you feel like you are drowning and you come here and someone slaps you across the face and says calm down... it hurts but, they let you know you will get through this. Or you realize it is a bigger deal and race off to freak out some more!!!

I think despite all of the personalities here, this place has managed to stay an honestly good place. While I don't know what it was like years ago...

I am an adult and I know I have the ability to listen, take what I need, like TM says. We can all only speak from our experiences.
My first psychiatrist who is helping rewrite the DSM for 2012- for Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP). Said basically that you cannot diagnosis a young child with BiPolar (BP), according to the DSM-guidelines. So when I see people who have a diagnosis od BiPolar (BP) on young kids, I am not going to argue with them because of what my psychiatrist said, I don't know who their psychiatrist is or why they felt they could diagnosis them... I believe it even says something to this affect in the Bipolar Child. But you know what I don't care... so even though my psychiatrist feels K is BiPolar (BP), she gave her the diagnosis of MD-not otherwise specified (Bipolar Spectrum).
Maybe, hopefully all of it will change for our children one day to make all of this easier...

BusynMember

I apoloogize if I repeated anything, but I'm not reading the entire thread, so I'm missing a lot of posts. It's actually true that bipolar can't be diagnosed for insurance reasons. My psychiatrist said that it's not in the DSM yet for kids so it has to be diagnosed Mood Disorder not otherwise specified for the insurance to pay for it. He, however, did not say it doesn't exist. He believes it DOES exist. As an adult who felt moodswings from as young as I can remember, I believe it too. Psychiatry is always evolving and changing. I personally would accept CD if nothing else fit or helped. Janet, I'm not reading your posts so perhaps you did say all those things. I think we are actually on the same page. Rule everything out first. Get good evaluations. Get second opinions if your child isn't doing better. Get the best help you can. It's true that we learn a lot from our psychiatrists, and they are of all different mindsets. As long as a child gets the best treatment and improves, in my opinion, who cards? In ten years bipolar will have another name or maybe they'll find the cause of it. Maybe autistic spectrum disorder will be split into four groups instead of three. Maybe ODD will either be more precise or deleted. I think that every one who posts here has a child who meets the criteria for ODD as at least a co-diagnosis. Few people with psychiatric/neurological probelms don't have co-existing diagnosis. The DSM of today will not resemble itself in ten years. There are many gray areas that the DSM doesn't cover. Misdiagnosis happens all the time. It's not just my particular kid who is misdiagnosed. My message is to keep searching until your child has improved. If we had not, my kid would still have the DSM description of ADHD and ODD. He would not have gotten the interventions he desperately needed--he had to have the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. for that. Thus, he has improved so much that nobody would ever guess he has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), although, at one time, it was so obvious that it boggles the mind (and scares me) that not one professional saw it. Other parents did, but not the professionals. As long as your child is getting what he needs to reach his highest productivity level as an adult, it's all good, in my opinion. I feel really sad when I read about kids who are still struggling in their adult years and I always wonder if it was a matter of misdiagnosis, but diagnosis itself is so slippery. I just wish everyone a great outcome and urge everyone to never give up. Really, the only reason I come here is to try and help. My own kids are basically doing really well. If anyone thinks I'm or anyone else is here for any reason other than to help, hey, I guess we'll agree to disagree. I also don't believe anyone here is positive that he or she is always right, since even good Psychiatrists admit they can't always nail things down.

oceans

I think that the problem is that often times a child gets a diagnosis like this without enough of an evaluation, or without seeing what the proper medications could do. I am not at all happy that someone wanted to call my child oppositional, and used that as an excuse that the medications were not working, and pretty much left us to flounder.

Thank goodness I kept seeing new psychiatrists and getting new evaluations along the way. Thank goodness that by not giving up, my child is now on medications that are working. Thankfully, since the medications are working, there is no oppositionality left at all. He is peaceful, kind, and easy to get along with. He is willing to listen and try. He is totally different.

That is why I believe it is important that people know that it MIGHT not really be ODD at such a young age. That they need to really explore that before they are accepting of that kind of diagnoses. That the right medications might make all the difference in the world.

klmno

I agree! It appears to me that sometimes, diagnosis's have to be made quickly to get insurance to cover it, then if the treatment doesn't work, some of the psychs or tdocs just want to blame the patient, maybe it is co-morbid conditions or maybe it is that first diagnosis needs another review. That's when we need to push for more opinions. Or maybe diagnosis was right, but treatment approach needs a review.