Consequences for my difficult child who doesnt' care?

BusynMember

Knowing things one day, forgetting the next is a sign/red flag for fetal alcohol effects. Please see a neuropsychologist who understands Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) so you can work with your child. This is called "Swiss Cheese Thinking." One day they may know all their multiplication tables. The next day they forget. They also tend to be very hyper kids and often defiant and immune to consequences. Even if it turns out not to be this, NeuroPsychs are excellent at spotting what the problems are--in my opinion, they do a lot more testing and pinpoint the best of all professionals--far superior, in my opinion, from therapists and psycologists and even some psychiatrists. Psychiatrists are experts in psychiatric problems, but that excludes neurological problems like high functioning autism and fetal alcohol syndrome. We had no luck until we saw a neuropsychologist. Now son is doing great. Again, good luck.

Crazy-Steph

Thanks for the idea about the teaching school.

As far as difficult child's math teacher, no she will not email the assignments. She is an old lady. We have found that with the teachers, the older one's are less likely to go the extra mile for our difficult child. I think they are more set in their ways and see difficult child as "problem child" rather than a child that learns differently or needs more direction. The young one's recently out of school are the one's that are more patient and have new ideas to help. We have noticed that gsf works best and responds more to males (maybe because bio mom left him and dad has always been here for him?). I have already talked with the school about a male math teacher whether he is in 5th grade again or manages to get into 6th.

Booklady Clara

Dear Steph,
My difficult child is 12 and has not been to school for about a month now. There is nothing we can do that will motivate her. We did the rewards, the consequences and nothing works when she doesn't want to do something. I don't know what to tell you, except take care of yourself and your family in the midst of this or you will feel "crazy".
There are some things we can do and some we can't. We can't make anyone-including our difficult child's-DO what they won't do. Try not to beat yourself up, but when you do we've got the bandages and encouragement here. We all know how hard you are working to make things work. We really do understand and sometimes that helps.
Blessings,
Clara