Considering Wizard and a science fiction convention.

susiestar

Roll With It
Wiz has asked husband to go to a science fiction convention this weekend. husband has to work Sat in the afternoon, but this convention starts on Fri at noon and goes to sun with-o a break. My dad will pay, even for a hotel room.

I am actually considering urging husband to go. Even with coming back early on Sat. husband used to love these things, Wiz would love it.

Wiz has been loving, caring, a good brother and a good son this summer. I am sure there are some issues, but mostly he has been typical teen and pretty easy child.

Any opinions? Anyone with experience at these things? :laugh::peaceful:

klmno

I have no experience with those- but it sounds like a great idea to me!! Family-quality time, something Wiz and husband would love, something a little special- Go for it!! Even when they are having moments sometimes, I think doing something different can help. This seems like a win-win situation all the way around. How would everyone feel asking your Dad to go too (since he offered to pay)?

susiestar

Roll With It
klmno, I am ROFL at the thought of my dad going. he would HATE it, and drag them out about 20 mins after they got there! He is offering to pay so he can get OUT of going!! It is a neat idea, but my dad doesn't deal well with events, or crowds, or this sci fi stuff. Heck, if we find a place with a hot tub I might drag myself. NOT. It should be a dad and Wiz thing. Kinda like Oz, LOL!!

trinityroyal

Susie, it sounds like a great idea to me.
Wiz and Dad time, gook-sci-fi stuff, your Dad pays the bill and gets a bit of a break, and he doesn't have to do the sci-fi thing.

Sounds like a win-win all around.

Trinity

M

ML

I agree, this sounds like a great chance for time with dad. I hope it works out and go for it. ML

susiestar

Roll With It
Well, it took some work, but I got Dad to call Gpa about it. Dad was worried about Wiz not being willing to come back early on Sat. Gpa is going to go pick up Wiz later in the day on Sat. So they will have fun in the evening together, then go to hotel. Get up, eat, go have some more fun and then difficult child will have some time alone there until Gpa picks him up later.

I think it is great. I am happy that we can do things like this with Wiz.

Oh, and Wiz is spending tonight HERE with us! The kids are excited, even to being willing to CLEAN!!! (I take that whenever I can get it!). So tonight they get to spend time with their big bro!!

I think next week may be interesting, but this will be FUN!

Fran

Former desparate mom
If the hotel has a pool, I would go and bring the other kids. While husband and Wiz are at the convention, you and the kids could have a mini vacation. husband can leave for work and Wiz can join you and the sibs in the pool.

Father to son bonding time when difficult child is doing well is a good thing.

susiestar

Roll With It
Good thought. I will talk this over with husband. I think husband is looking forward to some Wiz and Daddy time though. He is really excited.

I was planning on bfast out, garage sales and the pool if I can manage it with the kids. They really love that too. And we may do dinner out, or take-out tonight.

Christy

I am glad that dad and Gpa are both on board. I hope this is a wonderful experience for Wiz and Dad.

I hope you and the kids have a fun weekend as well.

Good Luck!
Christy

susiestar

Roll With It
They are OFF!! Wiz was a great overnight guest last night (husband leaves for work at 6:30 am) and we all had fun.

I did learn that Gpa was excited about this because he will have the house ALL to himself for 2 nights - Gma is on a trip with a friend! I wondered what my dad's motivation to fund all of this was (Insert chuckle here).

husband was so excited last night to get to spend time with his boy. Just so cute to see.

I considered all of us going in and enjoying the very nice hotel, but instinct says dad and Wiz need a fun event of their own.

I promised to take the kids to the local used bookstore, so they are happy.

Thanks for the support. I was worried about the obsession aspects. I decided to let that take care of itself!