Cooking Thanksgiving

witzend

I'm cooking Thanksgiving this year. We invited M and he is bringing his girlfriend. A neighbor couple is coming as well, and I asked one of the guys at work who doesn't seem to have any family.

To give you an idea of how I am handling the idea of it, I'm most excited about the turkey soup. The rest is like water off a duck's back.

I did get a good one in this afternoon at work about it, though. And husband got a laugh from it too. I had asked Doug at work "What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" "Nothing" he said. "Do you want to join us for dinner?" Hem, and haw... "Well, I don't know. What time?" "We'll start around four." "Start what at four?" "Get together and chat or play a game while we wait for the turkey to finish. The fighting starts around 7:30... Oh, wait! My family's not coming, so there won't be any fighting!" Chuckles all around. "If my family were coming, we'd start at 4, the fighting would start around 7:30, topped off by the crying at 9:15." "When would the drinking start?" "Oh, they start that at home before they arrive!"

husband loved it. And he is looking forward to the turkey soup, as well. I'm just going to keep thinking of those tasty bowls of goodness waiting for me on the weekend.

goldenguru

LOL Witz.

Ya have to wonder how many families really struggle during the holidays. I doubt that many families look like the ones on TV shows and commercials.

At least your laughing!! Laughter is good. Ya know?

witzend

I'm with you, GG. I was thinking about it today, and the crying usually doesn't start until you leave the house. Unless my sister is involved...

How is your family? Will you be celebrating at home, or at all? I know a lot of us don't.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not doing Thanksgiving dinner until Saturday. That's how we managed to accommodate 4 work schedules and too many involved families. lol I thought it silly for easy child and Nichole to have to rush from house to house not really able to enjoy either meals because there just wasn't enough time. And I honestly don't give a hoot about Thanksgiving one way or the other. I only do the holiday for the kids. None of my family comes......too far away. There'd be no fighting, but it sure would get colorful if they did. ;) It's just husband and I, the kids and the grands. Last year we got thru it peacefully and all had a good time. I'm hoping for the same this year. :)

Personally, I think taking the pressure off the girls to hit two or three family dinners in a single day brought peace to our own celebration. lol

Afterwards, Nichole is in a parade for xmas. She'll be in uniform and riding on the squad that'll be decked out in xmas lights. :D Aubrey and Darrin ought to get a big kick out of that. lol

Witz, nice of you to invite those you know with no where to go. And that turkey soup sounds interesting. husband is looking forward to turkey hash. But he doesn't know I bought a turkey just the right size so we don'twind up giving leftovers to the cats again this year. (not that they complained)

katya02

Solace
Heh - my family (of origin) was definitely one of those where the holiday crying started around 4 - basically as soon as there was a good audience for my mother - and the drinking started shortly thereafter! Glad to be done with that ...

I'm sitting here praying for my two ds's who are driving through a snowstorm to get home, in spite of the fact that I told them to stay put until tomorrow morning. We aren't even doing Thanksgiving until Friday because husband is working the holiday (16 out of 17 years and counting). Hooray. Oh well, I'll be happy as long as the boys get home safely. :)

witzend

Katya, I hope your daughters arrive safe and sound, warm as a bug in a rug! How nice to have snow for the holidays! We only ever get rain or ice. Snow that sticks around as snow is very rare here.

katya02

Solace
They arrived safely an hour or so ago! Hooray! :D Now I'm set. Even if the turkey burns and the smoke detector goes off, I'm good. ;)

Andy

A very good Thanksgiving to you Kayta!
Glad the boys made it home safely.
Happy Thanksgiving Witz!
So that is the answer for a peaceful Thanksgiving dinner:
Leave the relatives at home!

everywoman

Gosh, Witz, Thanksgiving with guests. Does that mean we can have Christmas this year too. It is so good to see you back in the groove. I like the growth you have done. You seem happier, calmer, more satisfied with yourself these days. Just wanted to let you know----:) (PS Hope I didn't offend ya!)

witzend

Hey, there's no offense in seeming happier! Most of us - M included - are misfits this year. It's all about the food, so far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to get caught up in the Hallmark moment, though. There's way too much disappointment in the Hallmark moment! Just eating is good enough for me.

everywoman

You know, when I realized several years ago that life was not really a series of Hallmark moments and that everyone has the same feelings, emotions, insecurities, issues that I have, and my life wasn't really worse than everyone else's, I was able to become a happy person--just realized that---thanks.

witzend

Well I guess I'm not too worked up about it because here it is 12:30 (people are coming at 4) in my jammies typing on the web, drinking my first cup of coffee. Of course, all I have to cook is the turkey and the potatoes. I have some serious tidying to do, but I can do that most any time.

I hope you all have a really nice day. Be thankful for yourself, be thankful for your intelligence and perseverance and that one day your kids will be grown and out of the house, too, so that you can decide whether you want to cook a big dinner or just sit in your jammies and not give a hoot what anyone thinks!