Corn Pudding?

DammitJanet

What exactly do you mean by corn pudding? I do a southern dish that is something like a corn pudding called Cheesy Spoon bread. It is to die for.

CHEESE SPOON BREAD
3/4 c. corn meal
1 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
1 c. water
2 tbsp. fat
2 c. milk, divided
1/2 lb. processed cheese, more or less, sliced or grated
3 eggs, beaten

In saucepan mix corn meal, salt, pepper, sugar, water, fat and 1 cup of milk. Cook over medium heat until thick and boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, reserving a few slices to put on top of mixture before baking. Stir until cheese melts.Add remaining milk and beaten eggs. Pour into greased 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish and put remaining slices of cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes.

I use regular sharp cheddar instead of processed cheese.

Star*

call 911........call 911
  • Corn puddin' - you will need:
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
  • 2 (14.75 ounce) cans cream-style corn
Unless yer some special kind of kitchen nut and want to shuck corn - git yersef the canned corn corn.

1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish liberally sides and bottom - don't use cooking spray either - use lard
  2. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs, now add melted butter NOT margarine, sugar, and milk. Whisk in cornstarch. Stir in corn and creamed corn. Blend well. Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
  3. Bake for 1 hour
Cover with lid. Contents will be extremely hot - let it set for a little bit to set up. Then serve out of casserole pan with a deep welled spoon. Mmmm Mmmm.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like Bread puddin best of all - with cinnamon and raisins.......(so good it makes you wanna slap yo mamma)

and then there is something that they serve at Appletons that is like a cocoanut bread pudding ........I haven't had it in 20 years but the stuff is dinner without anything else to me back then.

witzend

Well, I had this at a crawfish boil last weekend and it was wonderful! Star, Corn Pudding MUST be a Southern thing if you MUST use lard! ;) Not a lot of lard up here in the great NW, although I do remember as a child it being sold in a container in the meat case next to the tripe and tongue. Ugh! Trinity, I saw that recipe too. I noticed that somewhere down the line in the comments someone loved it until their mother tried it in a round bottomed casserole and it never cooked through. It's a real custard, so I imagine that keeping it a uniform depth is important.

shellyd67

Star, My Mom and easy child made me homemade bread pudding when I came home from my surgery Thursday and it was DELISH ! Just what the Doctor ordered (lol)

Anyhow, I am going to copy the corn pudding and spoon bread recipes... Thanx !