Corys really done it now

susiestar

Roll With It
janet,

I am still thinking of you. I know this is a horribly stressful time - and it was even before you found out about the gun.

I hope that you were able to salvage something of the visit with Jamie. I read about Hailie following you when you went to smoke - kids always seem to know when we are going to do something that we don't want them to see, LOL.

I am quite surprised that Tony and Jamie didn't kill Cory on the spot - or at least beat him severely. Kudos to them for not.

I hope that Cory faces some stiff consequences from this. NOT because I think prison or jail would be good for him but because he has skated on so many things without severe consequences. His stunts seem to get more and more severe, mostly because he has not ever gotten into enough trouble to get it into his mind that he doesn't want to be wherever the consequences put him. He just figures he will get out of it like all the times before.

I do pray it is not 10 years though. Is Jamie (the registered owner if Tony didn't transfer ownership) going to press charges? Does Tony want him to?

Are you going to let Cory stay at your home until the day he gets his ankle bracelet off? Does Keyana spend much time with her mom? Will mom get full custody if cory goes to jail, or will she want you to take her? Will she let you see Keyana if Cory is not there? I hope she doesn't cut you out of Keyana's life.

Remember I am here for you. If you want/need to talk or cry on someone's shoulder give me a ring.

Know that you are loved.

DammitJanet

Thanks everyone.

Here is what I am assuming is going to happen. They came and cut the ankle monitor off sunday to our surprise. My thought it was going to happen tuesday. I believe Tony is going to talk to the PO once they put Cory in for his 30 days because we dont want Cory to attempt to run. After reading some more on the actual gun laws I now cant find the length of the prison sentence. Maybe they will just violate him on his original sentence and he will have to serve that full term. I dont know. If so, that is 14 months I think...or was it 16 months...something like that. I do know they told Tony that if he attempted to buy the gun it would be a ten year sentence if he bought it while Cory lived here. Needless to say, Cory will never live here again. What I find odd is that we were told it was perfectly ok for us to have the guns in the house while cory was here as long as they were in our room. Why cant we just get it back and send it to another house? We would be happy to arrange for that to happen.

Jamie will not be able to be here to do anything including press charges. Tony will press charges if that has to happen. The gun was given to him as a present. In an odd way I am glad that this time its not me that has to deal with being the person to press charges against Cory. I have always had to be the bad guy. I have always had to be the one calling the cops, going to the magistrate, going to court...etc. I think...maybe I am wrong...but I think once Cory is out of the house getting the gun will be easier. We may have to take the PO with us.

It does hoover that this is the way we have to do this but he chose it. It also hoovers greatly this this all had to happen on a nice long vacation weekend when therapists arent available!

susiestar

Roll With It
It does hoover greatly. I am thankful someone else will be the meanie this time - and not you. You really don't need the stress and mental anguish.

I hope Tony can get the gun after Cory leaves. Is he planning on moving out today? Is there a plan?

Sounds like a good idea to wait until Cory is in for his 30 days. Running will jsut make everything worse - for you as well as for him.

The gun could be in your home in your room because presumably Cory would not have access to it. And they cannot deprive the entire family of the right to bear arms (not arm bears - really, who wants to see Winnie the Pooh with a shotgun??).

Since Cory is the one who pawned the gun, they can't let someone in the same house get it out - Cory has PROVED that he CAN access a gun, so they can't assume that if it is in your room he can't access it. I guess that is the reasoning they are using.

It will probably be necessary for Tony to register the gun in his name, rather than keeping the gun in Jamies. Around ehre you only have a certain window after the gift is given to change the registration. Not sure what they do if you are past that time, I think it involves some fine. Jamie may have to come get the gun out as it is registered in his name and has not been changed to Tony's name. In the eyes of the law it is still Jamie's gun simply because itis registered in his name still.

I will hope that it is the 14 or 16 months - years in jail will NOT help cory, but some time in jail might get through to him that he does NOT want to live that way.

Sending gentle hugs,

susie

skeeter

aw, man Janet...........

I'm of the opinion that there is only ONE reason for jail anymore. It's not punishment - at least many don't see it as such. It's certainly not rehabilitation - last year the numbers in our area is about 70% recitivism.

The sole reason, in my opinion, for jail is to protect society. Cory has proven that YOU need protection from HIM. It's time for him to go to jail.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What a heart tug. No one wants to see their child go to jail, but it seems he's is just not making choices for a person of his age.

My prayers are with you.

Abbey

DammitJanet

Oh and on the question of Keyana...I have no clue what this means as far as us. I can pretty well figure out that Cory as screwed the pooch for him. I was going to start my xmas shopping this month but I dont know. I guess I will just put the money up until I see.

DDD

I'm thinking of you and yours and sending supportive thoughts your way.

The lack of impulse control is so apparent in most everything Cory does. I deal with that issue regularly and it is so frustrating that with minimal thought a choice is made to satisfy some need...often whimsical in nature.
Has Cory even tried to explain "why" he made that choice or does he simply not "get it"?

I'm sorry. DDD

donna723

Janet ... not sure exactly how to put this ... but are you SURE that Tony retrieving his own gun from a pawn shop is legally the same thing as if he went in to a gun shop and bought one? Since the gun didn't belong to Cory and he didn't have permission to take it from your home or to pawn it, would it not now be considered "stolen property"? And is the pawn shop owner not at least partly responsible for taking in a gun that was "stolen property"? It doesn't seem like it should be the same thing if the legal owner is recovering his own stolen property from a pawn shop!

I'm not too familiar with how pawn shops operate, but this stuff happens all the time. If someone steals something and then pawns it, then the rightful owner finds out the article has been pawned, police involved, etc. ... who is left "holding the bag", so to say? Is the stolen item not returned to the legal owner and the pawn shop left to take the loss? They're the ones who bought the stolen item, probably knowing that it was stolen property or at least suspecting! Surely the legal owner of the item (the victim) is not expected to pay the pawn shop to retrieve his own stolen item! I would think it would be confiscated by the police as "evidence" and then later returned to the rightful owner. This isn't the same thing at all as going in to a gun shop and buying a new gun!

This way sounds like poor Tony is being victimized TWICE - once by his own son and once again by the "System"! And what if someone else buys Tony's gun from the pawn shop before he is able to go get it?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Donna...I know. We are actually willing to pay the pawn price. Well...we got the money from Cory to do so, so the pawn shop wouldnt be out the money.

This happened one time before involving Cory but before he had been convicted of anything. A kid Cory knew robbed his brother of several thousands of dollars in jewelry and guns. He brought one of the guns to Cory to pawn to this pawn shop for him because the kid was under age. The kid sold the jewelry elsewhere. The brother knew his younger brother had done the theft because he had him on camera and had his confession about what had happened to the property. This kid had owed Cory money for something...I cant remember what...but he had been here and broken something and not paid for it so when he brought this gun he told him this was to repay him for it if he would pawn it. Yes I know...stupid. When the brother came by, Cory took him straight to the pawn shop and they let the brother get it out that same day no questions asked. Just pay the pawn.

They didnt even go through all the background checks because it was only a few days. Maybe its because it was a different pawn shop but this time it was less than 24 hours when they went back. Tony told the pawn guy that Cory stole it from him and had no authorization to remove it from the house and to pawn it. Tony even offered to pay for it and take it directly from the shop to another location to house the gun. He could keep it at his bosses house for the time being. No go. Something to do with the addresses on the ID's.

everywoman

A few years ago, difficult child stole my jewelry and pawned it. Because he was underage he gave his buddy a pack of cigarettes to pawn in his name. The pawn shop owner, small town, everyone knows everyone called husband at his store and told him. We filed charges. I got my jewelry back, minus one pair of diamond earrings (I'm sure some little hoochie momma is really liking those $800 earrings right now!)

DammitJanet

Cory would be in trouble...but not in the huge amount of trouble...had he pawned something normal like say...my digital camera, Billys pda, or my portable dvd player. If all he needed was gas money...those would have brought in enough for a day. We would probably have not missed them for 24 hours either. He could have done it and got away with no one the wiser. It wouldnt have been this huge gun felony. I mean I read the federal gun law to him when he first got convicted! How many times can I say DUH! I wouldnt have been caught dead with a gun within 25 feet of me. Hell...if they convicted me of a felony (god forbid) I would make all guns be removed from my house just for my own protection. I would be that scared of getting in trouble. But that is because I obey the laws...lol. Big difference.

Yes...if Cory had pawned something normal...we would have been mad...we would have fumed, screamed, yelled...probably thrown him out at the end of his jail sentence...but he wouldnt be facing revocation of his probation and new charges. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I was wondering why the pawn shop didn't ask Cory for any ownership papers on the gun? I bet you $50 bucks they just turned their heads and when Tony came to retrieve they knew they were caught up in receiving stolen goods.....Don't think I know all the facts, but seems to me if you are willing to charge Cory they would have to return the gun to rightful owner......

Can't believe they let you house Cory with guns on the premises! That was a big no no when our difficult child was on house arrest.....I'm also thinking they would probably only get Cory on probation violation unless you file charges of theft of the gun.....its a tough call for Cory's stupidity.......hope things work out to give YOU less stress, who needs all this?

DammitJanet

PO told us that we were allowed to have our guns in our rooms. Actually what he said and I will quote him verbatim...clearing throat..."Cory, what your parents have in their rooms is their business, what your brother has in his room is his business. I am only interested in what YOU have in your room or what is in the common area of the house which is considered accessible to you. You are not supposed to go into your parents or your brothers room and take their belongings because that would be considered theft. Do you understand that?"

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet,

My x went through this EXACT same thing except the gun he pawned was not stolen - it was given to him by his dad. My x was a convicted felon. He took the gun to a local pawn shop and got his money. When he went back to get it, they had run the paperwork and my x showed up as a felon. He was detained, arrested and unfortunately not kept.

They charged him with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. Possession in this case didn't even mean he had it a day, and hour or a week - it meant he had A GUN in HIS possession. I do not remember what the amount of time was he was given - he pleaded nolo contendre, and the gun was kept by the state.

WHatever happens - Just know I'm a PM away

Sooooooo we're still lookin for a two-fer to some deserted island for our twins huh? Ships a frickin hoy~!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I happened to stop by a pawnshop up here in WI and they have a big sign up right by the guns that states that they will run the FBI background check on ANYONE who attempts to redeem a gun as well as anyone buying one outright.

It's state law. I'm guessing because they don't run the check when the guns're pawned, they feel they have to run it when they are redeemed..

What a mess - I am so sorry. Is it possible that another family member (that does not live in your house) go to the pawn shop and get pick up the gun?? I don't know if there would be anything illegal about that, except the gun would then be registered in their name, instead of Tony's.

Just another thought. Good luck to you all!