Costa Rica?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have the same concern about your difficult child being outside of the US. Having said that, you've paid your Easy Child her fee & you stipulate the conditions of the next treatment setting. Look over the contract you signed ~ be sure she's not in any way "connected" with any of the settings she is suggesting.

Keep us updated, please.

dadside

Utah is, to my knowledge, the only state that lets schools/programs physically keep the student until they are 18. In other words, doors can be locked and kids that do manage to walk out can be brought back, willing or not. That may be one reason why so many programs are located there. And yes, some of the programs are bad and earned bad press. BUT there are also a great many excellent options in Utah. Like anywhere, you need to do your research.

Anxiety and depression are issues most programs should address in some form, but I'm not familiar with Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED). The little I have read however, suggested to me that a long term program may not be needed, and that a combination of focused therapy and some medication may work well. Many here recommend a neuropsychologist exam, and as you said “no one can find anything” to account for the change in 9th grade, if he's not seen a neuropsychologist, perhaps he should before you spend substantial sums on a hope that a program will help – without knowing what they may be dealing with.

As for your Easy Child, I can only guess at why an out-of-country placement would be the single recommendation. And, if it is the program I think, I'd not have suggested it either. You might do well researching some programs yourself. I'll send a pm answering your questions, and suggesting a couple of established places you might find worthwhile. But still, a neuropsychologist exam might be best as the next step ... even if it means some weeks of your son's behavior at home again.

Lucedaleblessed

Utah is, to my knowledge, the only state that lets schools/programs physically keep the student until they are 18. In other words, doors can be locked and kids that do manage to walk out can be brought back, willing or not. That may be one reason why so many programs are located there. And yes, some of the programs are bad and earned bad press. BUT there are also a great many excellent options in Utah. Like anywhere, you need to do your research.

That is not correct. In parts of Idaho the schools/programs can help the parents to get help by the local courts. In the Bonners Ferry/Naples district you can find several programs aimed at the 18+ group. (For now we have a stable daughter, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for the future).