Counseling appointment today

Scent of Cedar *

I was
so pleased I took him to Barnes and Noble and got
him a book that was the entire trilogy put together. :)

I love that you did this. Without trying to sound too sappy...this is a miracle that happened right there, right in front of everyone. You might have chosen hatred or contempt or revenge. "Too bad for you, you should be home and you should be someone else and you should and you should and you should."

You might have chosen so many things, but you chose loving and honoring and teaching.

I believe each book has its own journey through time. Books are passed from owner to owner and they appear in the strangest places. It will be interesting to see where this set goes and what it teaches your child.

Now, he has something to protect.

Even if it's stolen or lost, to have been cherished as you have cherished him with this gift is something very special.

I miss him.

Yes. We love them so much, and we don't understand why these things are happening. It takes more strength to parent a child going a wrong way than we have.

But we do the best we know, anyway.

I told him if he has to work on the day of the
family Thanksgiving, I'd make dinner and he could come
here on actual Thanksgiving day.

I love this.

"Please don't make this hard."

I love this, too. An acknowledgement of the facts, of what is. An acknowledgement that you love him, but that it is what it is and that something has to change.

It is a pretty sad sack little truth, but I have learned my children's realities, their "this is who I am, who I really am, outside my role as your child" through all this in a way I would not have, had everything been normal for us.

I guess they have learned me in that way, too.

Saying no, being real...that stuff is so hard, because we have to figure it out first. We have to get through all the ways we wanted it to be, and we have to see things we don't want to know.

But you know? At the bottom of it, it's like we are still so root level connected. I wonder whether that is true for "normal" families.

I must be waxing philosophical this morning.

:O)

I like the way you handled this, lil.

I hope your son enjoys his reading. What was the trilogy? Lord of the Rings? I read alot, and so, I read the things my grandchildren or children suggest pretty routinely. The Twilight Saga, the Dexter books, Anne Rice...at bottom, these things the kids are reading turn out to be about how to live a life, turn out to be about what matters.

I love science fiction.

I hear that the most popular TV series is one about zombies. The premise is how to protect the family, about how to know what is real.

I find that interesting, that the kids think and feel that way.

In a society set up to profit from human things, I mean.

I have been listening to rap music for the past year or so, too. Some of it is useless, of course, but some of it is blazing philosophical comment on what it is to be human, today.

Interesting stuff.

I sent my son a copy of ShoGun, once.

I don't know whether he read it. I hope that he did. He is a voracious reader, too.

The Dexter books? I read for difficult child daughter. She is crazy about Dexter.

Go figure that one!

Cedar

Lil

What was the trilogy?

We read Lord of the Rings when he was a kid, and Harry Potter...at some point he got "too old" to read to and decided he didn't like books. :( We are definitely a sci-fi / fantasy family. Our TV shows are generally The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, etc. Movies too. My favorite series of books is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's urban fantasy, a wizard who lives in Chicago and advertises his services and consults with the police. Some of the most clever, amusing and intelligently written fantasy I've ever read. I highly recommend if you are in the market for a new genre. The series is supposed to be 20 books I believe. The author is up to 15. The first book is the worst in the series, but necessary for the introduction, but once you get past it they just get better and better. He's got a couple short stories on his website if you want to check them out. www.Jim-butcher.com.

I bought my son The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. I think it's based on the Dungeons and Dragons game. He loves D&D. He was playing and getting some new friends before we kicked him out...in fact he had his first game that day...but his group developed work conflicts so that's defunct. He was saying there's a woman at the shelter who apparently used to play D&D and looked over his shoulder last night while he was reading and was talking about the book, she's read it. He said, "She is so awesome. It's such a pity she's like 50 years old." LOL I told him, "See, not all old ladies are dull like me." :)

As for the book...well he may keep it or he may sell it when he's done. It's his book and he can do with it as he wants. But I'm happy he has something to occupy his time. He's never really enjoyed reading. Maybe this is finally his start.

"Too bad for you, you should be home and you should be someone else and you should and you should and you should."

There's been so many "you shoulds" over the years and he never listened...He has to figure out his own shoulds at this point.

So the shirts I bought were too small so I ran by after church to get them to exchange...I didn't expect him to hop in the car but he did so I took him with me back to Walmart and while we were there I grabbed him some earplugs...he says four of the men in the room with him snore lol. Today was nice too. No real complaining. All in all, I am content. I was very worried that, with Jabber out of town hunting, he'd push me to come home. He's not. This is a good sign I think, that he's seen I'm not giving in.