Court Tomorrow

Star*

call 911........call 911
Robin,

IF
SOMEONE ALONG THE WAY had ever given us the option of putting Dude into the Marines? It would have been a no-brainer. Yes. Even now? If someone were to ask us, at 20 years old? I would agree, say yes, ask Dude to please go. What is he going to learn in Department of Juvenile Justice? What could he learn in the military? The military may expunge his record. Department of Juvenile Justice will keep it. The military will whip his butt into shape physically - and not allow him to call you and harass you. Department of Juvenile Justice will allow him to call you and beg you to put money in his canteen. Department of Juvenile Justice will keep him around an element that is like he is now. The Military will put him with a class of people that has a better chance of changing his mind-set.

I'm with Janet on this one. I wouldn't be killing myself looking for an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) - he's not GOING TO ACCEPT the help. He's going to skate through this like he has everything else that you've spent Tens of Thousands of dollars on. Why not put him somewhere if given the choice that is FREE, will whip him into shape and possibly get him free tuition and teach him to grow up and be as responsible as he can be? More so than Residential Treatment Center (RTC)?

Sounds like less work to me, for you. I'm so sorry you have to deal with any of this. Just wanted to send you a huge hug, and a cup of hot chocolate and a cushy chair and a girl day.

Hugs and Love -
Star

Robinboots

Thanks, Star, as usual, you made me at least smile!

Finally reached the psychiatrist - well, his office again, or at least they called back with some concrete info:

psychiatrist ordered Risperdal for while he's inside.
They want him to go to the local hospital. for an evaluation and determination of inpatient/outpatient

Fine, good, dandy.

However, the judge will need to make a ruling on Friday. I'm going to ask him to keep difficult child, transport him to the hospital. for an evaluation, then either admit him or take him back to detention. If they admit, we'll take custody until he completes the program - and hopefully it will help, at least a little. If they want outpatient, sorry, difficult child will have to do this himself - and we know he won't. In that case, he'll have to be "emancipated" because I'm no longer putting up with this cr*p.

There.

DammitJanet

Star and I are jaded. We have just been around this too long to think Residential Treatment Center (RTC) will help anyone if they arent invested. They dont seem invested until it is their butts on the line either physically or monetarily.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think the military is what saved difficult child 1 from continuing down the path he was on. However, he chose it, so...

Also, unfortunately, they don't just take anyone anymore. However, I'm not sure how deep they dig to find out anything you don't tell them. They outright told difficult child 1 to lie on his app about being diagnosis'ed BiPolar (BP). And its not the Marine Corp of 10 years ago...difficult child 1 was a bit disappointed in some of the people that he graduated with. They don't boot people out anymore who don't make the cut....but they still make them toe the line.

If there's anyway to make the military happen, I'm with Janet and Star, too. Sorry, GN. I respect your position and the position it put your husband in, and I admire him for having dealt with it. Thing is, tho, the military is the only place that takes away enough freedoms to make a difference with some of these kids...even Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s don't do that.

DammitJanet

Yeah...Jamie dealt with the folks who didnt want to toe the line. LOL. He was a MP. Last year or so of his enlistment he worked in supervision over those who were in the brig at Quantico.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Remember that I am talking about the military in the eighties. I don't know much about today's military. But, back in husband's day they had to deal with drug abuse, fighting, stealing, all of that.

This wasa the cold war era and I suspect things are much different now between the end of the cold war and the fact that we are fighting on two fronts.

Robinboots

I totally get that nothing may help my difficult child. Inpatient, however, is the only thing I haven't tried. Last-ditch effort and all that. Even so, I have to get the judge on-board, and we all know judges can do almost anything!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
GN, I know difficult child 1 was somewhat disappointed. Being a Marine wasn't as "elite" as he anticipated because they've relaxed the standards a lot.

Robin, I'll be thinking of you and sending the judge vibes to at least try something that has a hope of working (aka not a slap on the wrist and an "I expect you to straighten up" speech)