cps/school

Jena

hi

alot of great info. thanks i appreciate it i will pm you for that number. i have the mtg. next week because i called it. do you know of my district? their known to do this kind of thing to ppl.

if they already did an evaluation on her though, why another? it was a joke to be honest. they also have my neuropysch yet do not want it. this is standard procedure in handling a mtg for an iep? i dont' even know why i'm doing it, if it doesnt' transfer to another school what's the point?? this school has nothing to offer her as far as special needs are concerned i've heard from a mom who works on committee board for Special Education. so now i would respond to this letter stating that i want an outside evaluation done on her, and do i pick with whom? what grounds would i base it on their previous stating she was fine? can i use the evaluation i just got her last week and paid for????

H

HaoZi

What a flipping mess. I have no intelligent interjection in this, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of y'all and wishing you luck in getting this resolved.

pepperidge

Jena,

It would seem that since you don't already have an IEp you will have to go through the whole eligibility process and the list of items they have asked you is pretty standard I think. An advocate might help you speed up the process and make sure that you don't provide them with any reason to delay.

In the meantime your 504 should give you eligibility I would think for homebound--or you could ask that it be amended to do that without even getting to an IEP.

klmno

It's standard procedure and if you don't agree to it and provide info, meet with them, let them evaluation her, etc, they will say you wouldn't comply and they will drop the process or get you to withdraw the request. If you do either of those things, they will document it in her file as a response to your request for the iep and that will also go with her file to the new sd. If yyou request an iep evaluation at the new sd and they see that in her file from this sd and how recent it will be, the new sd might not be too helpful in pursuing a request for an evaluation with them.

DDD

The evaluation you got last week...was it a six to eight hour neuro/psychiatric evaluation done by a qualified team? In my experience that is the only worthwhile evaluation used by School Boards.
DDD

Jena

hi

ddd no it was an hr half with new cbt therapy guy. we already have our 3 day testing neuropysch from hospital 2 years ago we submitted last round when i wanted an iep i got denied and was granted a 504.

i got a good link for help going to contact them, also going to tell them i want an outside evaluation done. not going through the whole "she's fine" thing again.

also this school doesn't have the Special Education model i'm looking for at all. she needs an inclusionary class she was in one once years ago another school where we used to live and it's best for her. 2 aides, a teacher, smaller size classroom and not pointedly "Special Education". that's what i want for her i've decided. it'll give her ability to be mainstreamed yet at same time have what she needs to reach her true academic and emotional potential. when i meet with-super i will ask him. i already know they do not have it. if he confirms that than maybe we'll just anti up tell them we're moving in july. haven't found a school district yet that i'm loving though

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
the list of things they are looking for is SOP for an IEP.

If they do their evaluation and you disagree, you can request an independent evaluation that they have to pay for done by an independent outside party. And I think you have to all agree on the outside party. I assume you have to let them do their evaluation first, tho, but i don't know that for sure. They do NOT have to accept any documentation you give them, regardless of what docs or experts did them. They can choose to accept it, but just because you have it, and it says your dtr has this this and this diagnosis, doesn't mean they have to accept it at face value. Just like you don't have to accept what they "say".

I'm with the others, tho. Get an advocate. AND an attorney, if you can. Get a SPED attorney, tho, cause school district have SPED attorneys, and most general attorneys don't know sped law well enough to cover you. Has been my experience that just stating you have counsel makes a difference. But don't make that statement if you don't really have counsel to back it up.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and ps, not sure what your laws are, and it may differ by state, but schools don't have to educate your child to your child's full potential...they just have to be making progress. Stating that as a demand might not be the best idea, unless your state is diff than here.

pepperidge

Jena
get an advocate. what you need now is to use your 504 if it is still valid to get homebound instruction, or get another 504 immediately to get homebound. That should be easily accomplished with a doctor's note.

Then you can start the IEP process. They probaby aren't going to want to do that until you are closer to the time period of actually having your daughter attend school. There is a standard process--first you request evaluation etc, then they meet to discuss eligibility, then they meet to determine services etc. Superintendent is not going to grant you IEP in meeting. Advocate can help you determine whether you want an OHI or ED eliigibility and what you have to show for each one. Also what kind of services and how to ask for them best.

Know you rights but also know that there is a standard legal process that has to be followed and your best bet is to be cooperative while at the same time insisting on your rights. An advocate will be able to put aside all the emotion and help you get it done.

good luck.

DDD

Thirty minutes is worth zip. She needs a proper neuro/psychiatric. Fingers crossed. DDD

Steely

So the deal is Jena, she has failed this grade, correct? If you are not homeschooling her, and she has been out this long, she has failed? This is why CPS is involved, and why you need the advocate.
Again, I don't know the laws in NY but in TX a person can "homeschool" their child with whatever methods they want, even if they do nothing.

Sookeh

Hi, Jena- I found this board in a Google search and haven't had time to look around. But I saw this thread- I am also a mom of an ADHD/ODD kid and our Suffolk school has used CPS against us in lieu of providing services. I plan to read this thread tonight after my kids are in bed but is there any way we can talk directly? I live in the town between West Islip and Lindenhurst and our case has been a NIGHTMARE. I just wonder how often this is happening to good parents. It seems a flurry of cases like this have occurred in March/April, and I wonder why now.

Anyway, I know what you're going through. It is so hard. My kid was just diagnosed a few weeks ago so we didn't even know they had rights. It is so amazing how they shoot families first and ask questions later. Is there a PM function on this board? Thanks :)