CRAFT

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I am wondering your thoughts on the CRAFT approach?

I am currently gathering a meeting of Nar anon together and found they are training people for the CRAFT method in the area.

Can anyone point out any specific differences? I noticed they claim loved ones are more likely to get help with this approach, but that's a big pill to swallow!!

Thanks in advance
Mof

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I have done my research and to me CRAFT is not enabling. It is not abandoning it is to me what we all practice in detachment with Love. Not shaming or vilanizng addiction. It does not mean enabling. It does include harm reduction and engaging community resources during active addiction. The last part is what I have mixed emotions about. If they don't face the reality of their addiction I have trouble comprehending how they will seek help. If you search the site I think I put a CRAFT resource on the site. If not I will find it and send it to you mof. Just let me know. Wish I was closer and could attend your group. You will be an awesome support coordinator!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Now that I better understand what CRAFT really is, I can say that we did do this with our son for several years.

We praised when he was sober in between his binges. We were there every day with him. We were loving and supportive yet firm.

We forgave him for his wrongdoings toward us time and time again.

We kept thinking he learned from them and that he would not do it again.

It did not work for us. Things did not get better. I think maybe the age/immaturity has a lot to do with it.

I would love to meet someone that could tell me how it worked for them and that their addict is sober. I think that would be a great thing.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
The stories of success I feel all have the common denominator, the addict wanted help.

Craft talks about a 70 percent rate of family memebers that go to rehab. That's great, but let us not get sucked in by the overall success in general.

You can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. When they are thirsty they will!!!

Love is something we all give, everything else is gravy.

Hope grows eternal for sure.

Ali22

I have worked with a counselor who utilizes the CRAFT method and works with the Center for Motivation and Change in NYC. Like anything I think you need to take what works and leave the rest behind. Personally, I found it did help the communication with my son as I was able to see my reactions to his drug use weren't constructive. However, I felt in my case it fell short for the chronic relapser if they have underlying mental issues. It's worth learning the communication skills because I thought my son opened up more and didn't react so negatively toward my suggestions. It doesn't mean they will get sober though. That is ultimately up to them.

Ali22

Here are some excellent resources on CRAFT developed by those who teach and created the method. the first are a series of videos. The book is great but a long read.

Here are links for the video tutorial
Home - Addiction. The Next Step

The Book "Beyond Addiction" provides a lot of information and there are other more condensed workbooks.
The Center for Motivation and Change website has lots of information also.

The DrugFree dot org site has a great family blog and forum where parent counselors weigh in. It is also a free service to call.

Good Luck. I've been on this journey for 6 years now and coping with the reality is a daily battle.

Last edited:

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Here are some excellent resources on CRAFT developed by those who teach and created the method. the first are a series of videos. The book is great but a long read.

Here are links for the video tutorial
Home - Addiction. The Next Step

The Book "Beyond Addiction" provides a lot of information and there are other more condensed workbooks.
The Center for Motivation and Change website has lots of information also.

The DrugFree dot org site has a great family blog and forum where parent counselors weigh in. It is also a free service to call.

Good Luck. I've been on this journey for 6 years now and coping with the reality is a daily battle.

Me too Ali! I think we did Craft and we didn't even know we were doing it. My son is going to a long term faith based rehab soon and we are hoping this works. Nothing else has.