Creepy Phil Spector

mstang67chic

Going Green
...was sentenced to 19 years to life for killing his girlfriend. I watched a video of the sentencing. He was slouched in his chair, leaning back looking like a difficult child who got caught.

But.....I FINALLY realized who he reminds me of, especially with his hair straight like it is now.

Remember the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Dick Van Dyke? Remember the creepy guy who "caught" the kids in that town? THAT'S who Spector looks like.

DDD

You've nailed it! I never would have put that together by myself..lol.

I watched the original trail on Court TV and was irate that he got off. It really upset me to see that guy "walk". Then they did a retrail and I am hoping that he can't get out on bail. Realizing that I was neither there nor am I God...I hope he can not get out on bail for an appeal. There were only two people in the house. She didn't commit suicide. DDD

Marguerite

Remember the creepy guy who "caught" the kids in that town?

The "creepy guy" was the Child Catcher, played by Aussie ballet dancer Sir Robert Helpmann. He was an Aussie icon, brilliant in that small cameo role. At the time he was dancing at Covent Garden with Margot Fonteyn.

A cousin of mine was a friend of Helpmann's. The kids went to see "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and were riveted during the Child Catcher scene - that was their Uncle Bobby up on the screen! That night they couldn't go to sleep, their dad rang Uncle Bobby and said to him, "Will you PLEASE explain to the children that you are nothing like the character you play in that movie?"
Uncle Bobby took the phone and said, "Oh, children, but I AM the Child Snatcher!"

My cousin said he wanted to throttle him.

RObert Helpmann also played Don Quixote in the ballet of that name. I forget how old he was at the time - way past the usual use-by date for male ballet dancers. he just kept on going and going.

here's his IMDB link -

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0375818/

Marg

Last edited:

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
I saw that movie when I was a kid but I don't remember that character. Just as well, I would have nightmares.

I was very happy to see that Spector will serve at least 19 years. His life is over, pretty much. I predict he won't last long in prison. It's so sad that he was able to get away with terrifying and tormenting so many people just because he was rich and talented. If he had been a mail carrier he would have been in jail years ago.

I hope Lana's family can have some peace of mind now.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its a shame with all of his money, he didn't seek any mental health care early on. I read somewhere he has his share of mental health issues. Such a waste of brilliance and a tragedy of Lana's life to have it taken from her.

I don't ever recall seeing the movie you guys are referencing, but every time I see a photo of him, I can't tear myself away from staring at his hair. I wonder if they will let him keep his wig collection..

Marcie