Criminal record suddenly cleared?

PatriotsGirl

So my daughter has a couple of arrests in her history. One for shoplifting and one for fighting. They have always shown up on background checks. But when she applied for her apartment nothing showed up! She applied for Amazon and had an offer contingent upon passing a background check. She was honest on her application, of course, but they cannot find anything on her background check which is causing a ton of confusion and is affecting this job offer.
Has anyone heard of someone's record getting wiped clean without them knowing it??

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
I know different states have different laws. After 7 years...many do not show up. Non convictions can it show up, there are some states that give low income at risk first time offenders a break...so they can get age up.

Broken probation that does not show up if no penalties were give

That's all I know...if they are sealed they will not show either.

PatriotsGirl

She went to the police station last night and had her background around. It is all still there. Not sure what happened with the apartment but will take it!

AppleCori

PG,

I am so glad that everything is working out for your daughter!

Is she still seeing the boyfriend you talked about (maybe a year ago)?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had the opposite happen when I moved into this apartment last July. I got busted at right after I turned 18 with half a joint in a cigarette pack. I wasn't stoned. There was no odor of weed in the car and no paraphernalia, nor other drugs in the car.

However, by my dress, I was a "freak", sort of a hippy with attitude, and got pulled over for the infamous having a license plate light out.

I got bailed out for 50 bucks. Paid a 250 fine, attended six weeks of drug education classes (ludicrous), and was told that if I didn't get in trouble for 1 year, my record would be expunged. It was. The bust never showed up. In later years, when the internet became a thing, I checked my own records, and the bust was not there.

When I applied for this apartment, that old pot bust from 1978 showed up on my record! As it turned out it was not a problem, because misdemeanor drug convictions will not keep you from renting here, and the property manager thought my reaction was hilarious. He said the idea of "me now" getting high was hilarious. I just told him, "Son, you couldn't have kept up with me in the seventies". Made all the deposits, signed the lease, got back to my friends' house and called my lawyer up north. Paid him 500 bucks to write a letter to the courts in the suburb I was busted in, and demand they again clear my record.

According to the letter I got, it's been cleared again, and when I checked last, it had been. I have a feeling that's something I'll have to keep track of for the rest of my life.

I'm still chafing a bit, better than a year later, about a guy in his 20s not being able to imagine me having had a wild youth.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, if some of these kids knew what we old folk used to get up to in our wild and crazy years. THere are things I will NEVER tell my mother, and I told her about being flashed by a professor and using it to make him give me an A in his class with-o making me even take another exam or the final. She was horrified on so many, many levels, esp as I took the guys photo as he flashed me, and used it to make sure he gave me that A. I was still in high school at the time, lol.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was a very small skinny child who was bullied terribly. My dad taught me how to fight with and without a knife. The training included how to break off a soda bottle so it made a punch dagger.

I carried a switchblade with me for many years, and I pulled it in school a few times in self defense in cases where it was either make the decision to kill someone if necessary, or risk getting beaten to death or permanently disabled.

My freshman year in HS, the friends of my sister's 2nd husband threw me through a plate glass window in the hallway the jocks hung out in. Luckily it was winter and I had just come in from outside. I was wearing a hooded leather jacket, heavy jeans, boots, and leather mitts. I escaped with a couple of cuts on my skull and one high on the back of my neck.

No action was taken, but I made two decisions on that day. One was that no one would lay hands on me without my permission again, even if stopping that from happening meant I'd wind up dying, and two, I'd go to what classes interested me, and my butt would be out of that school and sitting the GED, SATs and ACT as soon as it was legal.

susiestar

Roll With It
Your school sounds horrific! I was also bullied badly, but it was mostly emotional. I am sorry you had to endure all of that. I know how much of a toll it took on me when I decided that I would not put up with my bro's physical abuse even if it meant one of us died. I am glad your father supported you in defending yourself.

I hate that bullying is still so institutionalized and accepted. Hopefully in the next generation it will be less acceptable in schools and in society. I have never understood the purpose of bullying someone. It doesn't give you more power, it makes you an a$$h01e nobody likes.

Lil

PG, I'm sorry I can't remember, but was her case in Municipal or State Court? I ask because, depending on the type of background check, sometimes City cases don't show up. I know if I check our state's on-line Court files, I don't see my son's shoplifting arrest and since he plead guilty but was giving a suspended imposition of sentence, he does not have an actual "conviction" if he completes his probation.