Cringing

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Does anyone else here cringe whenever your husband does something "handy" around the house?

husband has gone down to light the furnace pilot. I find I'm sitting here cringing.

He took out the window air conditioner unit this morning. I expected the window track to come out with it. ugh It didn't but he did drop the air conditioner and it may not work now. sigh

I'd have called the furnace guy, but this time we'd have to pay him and can't afford it.

Most of the time I sneak sister in law in to do the handy man stuff. lol (husband hasn't a clue) But couldn't today cuz sister in law's sleeping from having worked last night.

If he breaks my furnace, I think I'll have to break HIM. :grrr:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
:rofl: Hahahah, no, I don't cringe at all.

The UP side is that my H is the handyman H that many women wish they had at thier house! He can fix anything and can build a house from bottom to top! He does electrical, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, you name it, he can do it or figure out how. My dad was like that too.

The DOWN side is that I have to nag him to do the projects I feel are most important :rolleyes:. He is very motivated to do 'his' projects, but mine always come last. That's burns me :grrr:. So, I've learned to do many of those things myself, which is a blessing in disguise I guess. I even have my own tools. And I bought easy child her own set of tools when she went away to college. :hammer:

We also own a "DO it YOURSELF Hanyman" book :reading:.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Jo you're one lucky woman. I'm jealous. I'm afraid to have husband pick up a hammer. lol And even if he does happen to know how to do something (rare) he usually does it half a$$ed or never finishes the project and I have to have sister in law come over and fix/finish it.

husband is forbidden to come near the cars. :nonono: That's soley sister in law's domain. husband has killed too many. :thumbsdown:

Well, chalk one up for husband. He managed to get the pilot lit without blowing us up or breaking the furnace. :bravo:

He's now grumbling cuz I'm letting it get the chill out of the house before turning it off. lol

Steely

No, not my husband since I do not have one, but I cringe if my difficult child decides he is going to "fix" something! He thinks because he is "the man" of the house he should be the handyman. I don't just cringe, I run, very far, in the other direction.

I feel your pain. :hammer:

skeeter

I cringed whenever my ex attempted anything!

I grew up with a dad that expected me to help out. And since he built our house, that meant help out with everything.
I was 16 when we were hit by a tornado - so I learned how to put siding, shingles, etc. I can also do some plumbing, electrical and car repairs.
My ex's grew up with a father that would call the electrician to change a lightbulb.

I soon learned to NOT give any opinion on any project, and to just leave when he started anything. Unless another GUY told him to do something, my opinion didn't count.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Lisa, I totally understand.

Dex was a nightmare at "fixing stuff". Whatever broke was fixed using duct tape - we are still finding duct tape on stuff now 12 years later. If any plumbing problems happen, we have to remove 12 inches of the stuff to get to the pipes

SO did a really good job at being a handiman, but now his illness prevents him from doing much of anything.

And that leaves Danny, who to give him the credit he is due, really does a good job when he does something - he has been working on and off doing remodeling jobs for with his friends, and can lay a floor like nobody's business, can fix the plumbing, etc.

But omg, I have to be really careful what I say that I would like to do someday, because he will decide someday is like tomorrow when mom is at work or out for the day. Hense last weeks post from me when he decided that someday is now when it came to me saying I would like a new countertop someday and I came home to a third of my tile on it demolished.

Lowe's is comming in on Tuesday to measure for a new Corian counterop. I am going to finish taking out the old stuff myself today because I am going to have to leave the tile around the sink and stovetop till they actually arrive to install - am afraid to leave it to Danny for fear he goes on a roll again, and I will end up with no sink or stove.

Marcie

K

Kjs

I cringe when I start fixing things. i have great idea's, I know what I want...but I am just not the fixer upper person. I am sure husband cringes when I start something. Because then he has to fix it. LOL

Guess that is my way to get him to do something. i start it, mess it up...and he HAS to fix it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't cringe - I scream. OH MY - and if you could see my house right now?

DF is on methadone for back pain. It leaves our conversations lacking and left him with the inability to finish ANYDAMNTHING.

I am currently locked in my office because he said after a tough-love weekend "Welp I'm off to ..blah blah blah (what the dog hears).

I think it's the reason I'm on PRILOSEC. Not kidding.

Cringe? NO.......Cry YES.

He's as handy as a dishtowel at a toilet overflow.

Star

susiestar

Roll With It
My husband thinks screwdrivers are either drinks that are yummy or paint can openers. I don't mind the paint can opening unless it is my good ratcheting multiheaded one. Of course you know which one he uses!!

I had 2 parents who could do the handyman stuff. They built a garage together from a book. It was AMAZING. They hired a truck to come with the concrete and my MOM had to do the footers herself the night before. My dad had been taken to the hospital with kidney stones. My mom ROCKS.

Her dad owned a hardware store. My dad taught shop. Wood, metal, ceramic, whatever kind they needed. Lots of automotive shop.

We try to get him to do stuff when we can. I can figure most things out from one of the many books I have or instructions on the net. We did buy a new house so less stuff would have to be repaired. Next year I have to paint the outside - well stain it.

Anyway, I have done the cringing, but then decided if we were to survive he HAD to learn some of this stuff. Now that he knows it is OK if it isn't perfect, that I appreciate the effort, he does a lot more. He has learned to do a ton and I really appreciate it even ifit isn't always perfect.

Susie

crazymama30

My husband can fix it, but won't and sometimes can't due to his pain. If I want it done I start it and then he finishes it, as he is scared of what may happen.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Oh yeah, I cringe. Not that husband cannot do the job - I cringe at the planning time (could take months - in the meantime the garage could collapse) or as now he's shifting his office to a larger room because of all the work at home time he's putting in. Fine - it's taking weeks to plan the wiring. And that's just the beginning because I can't help for obvious & less obvious reasons; then there are the 2 servers & 3 machines that must be placed - oh, don't forget his desk & 3 bookcases. Plus the server shelves.

I'm allowing for time here - but I'd like it done before the end of the year as he's been in the "planning" stage for 3 months now.

I'd almost rather husband just jump into a project & hose it than wait for something that might never happen. Really gets to me.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
My husband is also the kind that can and will do it. Very good at hands on things. I do the detail work (because if it needs to look pretty that is my job). Sometimes it is the motivation that is the problem. Sometimes finishing is the problem but eventually will get done. It will also look great.

Beth

witzend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The DOWN side is that I have to nag him to do the projects I feel are most important :rolleyes:. He is very motivated to do 'his' projects, but mine always come last.
</div></div>

I have begun to look at sweeping and mopping as a "project". The past few weeks, my project has come last! In fact, it barely got done at all! :smile: