croissant appetizers

klmno

I've seen that commercial talking about Pilssbury croissants baked with brie rolled into them. I've eaten brie on bread and crackers many times and it's one of my favorite appetizer-type foods but I've never eaten it cooked or even warm. Has anyone tried it and if so, was it as good warm and cooked as it is at slightly cool?

DammitJanet

I dont know but that commercial sure looks good doesnt it? I have never had brie myself and thought about trying it too. Is brie good?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Brie and other soft-ripened cheeses are meant to sit out at room temperature for a few hours before eating them. Try this and you will be astounded at how much more flavorful (not to mention spreadable) these cheeses are.

Brie and Camembert are the soft ripened cheeses most easily found in regular grocery stores, but the same goes for all cheeses in this class.

Actually, ALL cheeses taste better if allowed to sit at room temperature for a bit before serving.

H

HaoZi

Brie is alright at first but it has this weird aftertaste to it that I can't abide. I recently tried blue cheese and found it acceptable in small doses, so I'm venturing into Gorgonzola next.

klmno

Brie does have a slight after taste but is much different than cheeses we Americans find most typical- like American cheese and cheddars. I find it much more bland however still having a unique taste. Now, I don't use the same sort of cracker with brie that I would with others. I like sesame table wafers with it but many breads and crackers are good with it. You can find small samples sometimes in the cheese area (not the sandwich cheese or grated cheese areas) at the grocery so you could spend less before committing to a big "chunk"..

GN, this commercial appears to actually be cooking it in a croissant so they aren't talking about just letting it soften.

It does look very good and I might just have to try it sometime. I'm imagining it being a twist on sour cream and bagel. Seems to me I might like it cooked rolled up in Pilsbury's french loaf better though. Or maybe spread on the little sausages, then rolled in the croissant, then cooked. on the other hand, I could save myself the trouble and just let it be softening while bread is cooking, then spread some on.

These medications must be kicking in....LOL!

shellyd67

I saw a recipe on the one of the Food Network shows that was a wheel of Brie, apricot preserves, pecans on top of wheel and you wrap the entire thing in pyhillo (sp?) dough and bake til golden brown.

I looked delicious ... I will let you know if I decide to make it ...

Last edited:

DammitJanet

I love those rolls that they are talking about using so I cant see how anything bad could turn out being baked in it...lol. Come to think of it, maybe instead of brie, toss in some dark chocolate morsels and let that bake and I would think that would taste even more yummy!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I saw a recipe on the one of the Food Network shows that was a wheel of Brie, apricot preserves, pecans on top of wheel and you wrap the entire thing in pyhillo (sp?) dough and bake til golden brown.

I looked delicious ... I will let you know if I decide to make it ...

We've had them many times with apricot preserves, nuts and phyllo...delicious warmed! It's all melty and the touch of preserves adds a nice sweetness without being overwhelming. Yummy, think I'll serve this Christmas Eve.

You could add in some tomato sauce and mozz or riccota cheese and make mini stromboli things. I have a friend who loves to do that. I never tried it though.

LittleDudesMom

I love brie and especially enjoy baked brie.

You can do this two ways - first you can do it "full fat/calorie" like shelly and jo mentioned - take a wheel of brie add yoru fav relish, dried fruit, nuts, etc., on top then wrap in phyllo dough and bake.

The way I do it now to save on the fat/calorie count (phyllo dough is loaded with butter!) is to buy a little wheel of brie in the little wooden box. Take the brie out of the box, remove paper, and take then seperate the outer ring of the box from the bottom of the box. Place brie on parchment on a cookie sheet, replace outer wooden ring around wheel of brie and then cover cheese with topping. I do a lot of canning so I always have some fruit, relish or chutney around. My fav now is the pear chutney I made this fall. Cover the top with it and then bake in teh oven. It's delish!

You can buy already prepared "baked brie" with the phyllo at most grocers now and I saw a product in the cheese market on Saturday that was a wooden box of brie and a container of cranberry/almond sauce for a topper. Just take them home and follow the directions! Cost a little more though.....

Sharon

P.S. For those of you who mentioned the aftertaste; what you are tasting is the "bitterness" of the rind. You can purchase "rindless" brie in little triangle plastic containers -- when serving brie at my house, there is always one person who sticks the cheese knife into the brie, removing the soft center and leaving the top and bottom rind in place!!!!