Cross fingers...Court may be over for Cory

DammitJanet

Can we all pray, rattle beads, and keep candles burning that he doesnt get into anymore trouble but as it stands after TODAY....he has NO MORE COURT CASES!!!!

None...zero....zip...nada.

He is completely free except for being on probation but that is going well.

He had his trial today for driving while license revoked in Columbus County and he was really scared. He had already served 15 days while waiting for bail and such plus paid over 1400 in bail. The judge called his case today and his attorney answered that he had been trying to get up with the ADA to work out a plea agreement for over a month but she couldnt be reached so he was asking to set Cory aside for motion to come in when that could be done and the Judge said...NO way...this has taken long enough. Cory just gulped...lol. He was scared.

The Judge, the acting ADA and his attorney all huddled up together and you could hear my name whispered several times...lol. I think that had to do with the fact that I was the one who brought the felony charges so the judge understood he wasnt dealing with a violent felon but a young person who's parents put their foot down to bring him up sharp. They broke away and asked Cory to come up.

The Judge asked Cory if he ever had any alcohol related traffic violations. Obviously they had his record but they wanted him to answer honestly. Cory told them...no...I dont drink and drive. The judge asked his lawyer how many hours he had put in on the case and he said about 2.5 and the judge asked Cory if he felt he should pay for that time. Cory said yes he should. The judge said...right answer young man...lol.

So all said and done...he walked out with having to pay around $400 more and if he doesnt get in anymore trouble for a year, its gone.

They told him to go talk to DMV about getting the rest of his driving record cleaned up because really, he is not a bad driver. This shouldnt have got to this place.

His lawyer told him he got an early Xmas present because this Judge is known as a hardcore judge. It was because Cory has no alcohol charges and because his mom showed she was a stickler for keeping him in line...lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:xmasdancers: Janet, I'm starting the Christmas version of the nekkid chicken liver conga dance that Cory STAYS OUT OF TROUBLE!

Oh, I'm knocking on wood, too. :D

Suz

DammitJanet

Only in this group could I say that just being on probation is NOT having court involvement..lol.

I think this is the first time in over...well...since he was 17 that he hasnt had a court date looming sometime in the future.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Merry Christmas to Cory!! :D :D

Best news in the world for him. Cuz he sure has been trying hard to keep on the straight and narrow. A huge "reward" or whatever you want to call it for behaving like a easy child, which encourages more easy child behavior.

I know this has got to be a huge weight off his shoulders and worry off his mind.

((hugs)) :D :D :D

katya02

Solace
Great news! So glad to hear this. It's a reward for sure after all his good work of late. I'd join that conga line if I knew how to do it! :p

horserider

I was lol as I read your post Janet, just coming back from court ourselves today for a program review our difficult child's in. Let's see that's 3 times in court since August, sad but true it get's tiring.
Consistency, I always pray for consistency with our difficult child's
Cory's time has come, great news. Good Job Janet, (I've learned a lot from you.)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's great news. Hope Cory can keep his nose clean. Maybe CD can use his as an inspirational speaker to the up and coming generation.

donna723

That is great and I am so happy for Corey. I think the board aunties are all proud of him! Now that's the way the "system' should work - with a little common sense and compassion mixed in. It seemed so unfair for something from the past to come back and bite him in the butt when he was doing so well and trying so hard! I hope this is a whole new beginning for Corey and that he feels like a huge weight has been lifted from his shoulders!

Last edited:

aninom

YAY for a clean slate. Crossing my fingers while knocking on wood that he knows how to uses this fact as a turning point.

cakewalk

Great news! I loved the fact that Cory told the judge he should pay for the attorney's time. That's huge, especially with a lot of difficult child's thinking the world revolves around them coupled with their deep sense of entitlement.

klmno

Wow, Janet! Amazing isn't it? I completely understand- difficult child has been in trouble and tied up with the legal system for almost as long as Cory (4 years now) and IF he can go without breaking the law, breakiing PO rules, and I don't need to call cops on him (for pulling a disappearing act, for example), he'll be out of the system.....well, I guess whenever the PO decides- but hopefully, that will be sometime by the end of 2010. Maybe we can have a party together to celebrate?? I know I will feel like having one!

DammitJanet

Well K...Cory actually started with the legal system as a juvenile when he turned 10...but got his first court case at age 12 I think...then finished his juvenile probation at 15 and a half. No more trouble with the law until he was 17 and treated as an adult. Im only counting this stuff as adult...lol.

M

ML

Celebrating this victory with you in spirit and prayers that he has learned some valuable lessons from all this.