Curbing Mom's Smoking, Childhood Lead Exposure May Be Key to Preventing ADHD

R

runawaybunny

Curbing Mom's Smoking, Childhood Lead Exposure May Be Key to Preventing ADHD - US News and World Report

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder takes a huge toll on children, with about 9 percent of kids ages 8 to 15 displaying diagnosable symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsive behavior that can make schoolwork an ordeal and friendships trying. Maternal smoking and lead exposure in early childhood might be behind nearly 40 percent of ADHD cases, according to new research. If that turns out to be true, it may be possible to prevent many cases of ADHD and reduce the huge social, financial, and personal toll of the disorder.

While the cause (or, most likely, causes) of ADHD remains a mystery, we do know that it tends to run in families, so there's probably a genetic susceptibility. In addition, prenatal exposure to tobacco smoke and industrial chemicals and childhood exposure to lead have long been associated with attention problems and impulsivity. Both lead and tobacco alter how the brain uses the neurotransmitter dopamine, which helps control movement and emotion, and the brains of people with ADHD may be less sensitive to dopamine.

TerryJ2

I think that's stretching it. I think that easily, you can find a matching percentage of moms who smoke who happen to have ADHD kids.
The lead part I can see. That should be two different studies.
But I think a better study would be in utero, as the nicotine is a stimulant and can affect the unborn baby.
I hate smoking anyway, but I still have a hard time with-this one ... ;)
Thanks for the info.
All we can do is hope that people keep researching and know that it will pan out some day.