Curtains, drapes, panels??

Wish

Hey everybody , I hope everyone is doing well. Need some advise.

So I have the verticle blinds that hang over my sliding glass door that connects the living room to the outside. My home came with these blinds when I moved in. They didn't give me the best sense of privacy but since my back yard was protected with trees, I just left them.

But now, they knocked all the trees down because they built on these town homes that are directly facing me. These blinds need to go. I want and need compelte privacy.

What kind of curtains do I get that are 100% non-see through that are made for wide sliding glass dorrs? I never had to buy curtains before other for decoration. I've always had the pull down shades so I am lost. Any suggestions? Thanks!

BusynMember

We put sun block curtains over the blinds. We usually keep them open. Our neighbors cant really see in due to where our houses are but the drapes would prevent anyone from seeing in if they were shut even if their yards were closer. They are very nice drapes and dont look different from other drapes at least from inside the house. They do keep the sun out which keeps the house from getting too warm in the summer on very hot days when even the air conditioning needs some help.

Tired out

Sliding doors are tough.
If you have the space on either side of the doors (18") so that you can draw the curtains al the way off the doors when wanted that would be 1 option. Another option would be a window film http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/...ss-Doors-How-To-Decorate-Add-Privacy-c110.htm
or mounting shades above the doors with the break between the 2 shades being at the overlap of the doors. You could get the shades that pull all the way to the floor then have the option to pull down from the top so you can letlight in from the top part. You could hide the shades behind a valence or valence board.

Lil

I would suggest something like this:
Capture.PNG

Lil

We personally have Roman shades, but we have French doors. If we had sliders, the large drape is what I'd do.

stressedmama

I got rid of my vertical blinds (between the dogs and grandson, a couple were broken and looked trashy. I put up panels like the ones Lil posted above. They aren't black-out but they work just fine. Kohl's, Walmart, Penney's and Target sell the black-out one if you really want them.

BusynMember

We were just at the house and I noticed my husband took the blinds down. To be honest, with the block out curtains we dont need them and I have dogs myself plus a four year old grand who will be visiting in August. Not "blinds" friendly at all.

The curtains kept our house cool even with the air off until we got there. And its 88 degrees today which is like Death Valley heat for cold blooded Wisconsinites!

Pink Elephant

Anything with a good solid fabric backing (non-see through). I find heavier weight drapes are the best for such, an as mentioned, they help keep the home cooler.