Cystic Hygroma

Stella Johnson

Thanks again for all the hugs, prayers, and well wishes.

My sister went to the Perinatologist today. He said the hygroma is very large. He only sees 10-15 like this per year.

He said there is a 60-80% chance that the baby either has Turner's or Downs. But he also said it is rare for someone her age to have a child with Downs or Turner's at her age. She is only 27.

He did not see the baby's brain being pushed out like her OB said.

They did a CVS test. This is where they take a piece of the placenta to test for genetic defects. It is supposed to be as accurate as an amnio. They can't do an amnio this early in the pregnancy. The test will take about 2 weeks to come back.

He also said most hygromas disappear before birth. If it doesn't go away they will remove it soon after she is born. If the baby has Turner's he said most of the time it is only cosmetic problems and they can fix the webbed neck and any other issues.

At least we know a little more. I'm hanging on to the hope that her age will help and the baby doesn't have any genetic defects.

I think this was the worst birthday I've had. It was yeasterday. First I mess up my hand, then we had to cancel our trip for my birthday to Florida because of the hurricanes and storms, then we got the news about the baby Friday. I've been a basket case all weekend except when my sister is around. I don't want to upset her any more than she already is. My heart breaks for her.

I was so excited about the baby that I already started cross stitching a quilt for her and made a bunch of other things for her.
Oh, I forgot to mention.... we know she is definitely a girl.:D

Thanks again for all the support. Please keep our sweet little girl in your prayers and thoughts. We need all we can get.

Steph

donna723

Well, that sounds a little more encouraging anyway. I will keep your sister and her little one in my prayers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds encouraging Steph. I hope when the news comes back that it's good news.

Still saying prayers for her and the baby. Keep us updated.

((hugs))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hopefully she'll know more when the other test results come back. Sounds like the scenario is not as bleak as originally thought -- not perfect, but not so desperate either. God works in mysterious ways... we'll keep those prayers going!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Steph
I don't want to add to your stress but this quote is not accurate.

"If the baby has Turner's he said most of the time it is only cosmetic problems and they can fix the webbed neck and any other issues."

Your sister and her husband should be given accurate information.

I'm sorry about your birthday. I'm sure you are disappointed. : (

Stella Johnson

Steph
I don't want to add to your stress but this quote is not accurate.

"If the baby has Turner's he said most of the time it is only cosmetic problems and they can fix the webbed neck and any other issues."

Your sister and her husband should be given accurate information.

I'm sorry about your birthday. I'm sure you are disappointed. : (

I've been reading about Turner's on the internet. Her doctor told her not to read those because they are always the worst. What I have read does scare me. I'm praying it is only a cyst and no genetic problems.:sad-very:

Steph

TerryJ2

Steph,
well, that does sound a bit encouraging. Now all you and they can do is wait for the test results.
So sorry about your birthday. I know how that can be. Next yr will be better. Meanwhile, do something nice for yourself--take yourself out to lunch and get a massage.