D H Mom

Copabanana

Do you like Mexican food, Copa?
I absolutely hate Mexican food. (M eats raw Jalapenos and Seranos with all of his food. Chomps on them raw.

Mexican is my worst cuisine, except for maybe Indonesian. I had something with peanut sauce 45 years ago and I still hold it against the cuisine.

And Mexican food makes me physically ill. Extreme pain and black vomit *sorry people, Cedar is an RN. M thinks I have an ulcer. So he makes me drink Aloe and Mint Tea.

I hate Mexican food although I will eat enchiladas, burritos and soft tacos. And rice and beans. And Guacamole. And Pozole. That is it. I got extremely ill in Mexico from Pollo con Mole.

I will end with how much I hate Mexican food. But I do love and make some pastries and desserts from Mexico which are delicious. Like Flan and Pan de Elote (sweet cornbread). I love sweets so much. Every and all of them.

Scent of Cedar *

Extreme pain and black vomit *sorry people, Cedar is an RN. M thinks I have an ulcer. So he makes me drink Aloe and Mint Tea.

M is correct. If M's regimen is helping you, then stay with it.

The iron in the blood turns black or dark brown as it is digested. This is called coffee ground emesis.

I have stomach problems too, Copa.

So did my mother, and daughter does, too. Traditional treatments (prilosec, maalox, antacids) do not help us. This is what we do, and it works for us.

Maybe it could help you too, Copa.

When you feel stomach pain, Pepto Bismol will coat the esophagus and upper stomach, protecting the area from stomach acid while it heals. That is what we do, when we have eaten things we should not.

So, that's for immediate relief.

We only do that when we need to. Not every day.

Ulcers may be caused by a bacteria, H pylori. Those susceptible to H pylori can pick it up pretty much anywhere. Not everyone is susceptible. There is some question as to whether the problem, with those of us who have stomach problems, is that we do not produce enough stomach acid.

Caffeine free Diet Coke (in the can only and straight from the can; no straw, no ice), works better for us than Prilosec and so on. No other soda works. Diet Coke in bottles doesn't work.

I don't know why, but that is true for each of us.

When I feel that sourness in my stomach, I drink Diet Coke. Usually not even a whole can is required. Sometimes I do need more than one can, and even as many as two. Sometimes, I don't need anything at all.

It depends on what I have been eating. Cookies and sweets (chocolate especially) are very bad for my stomach.

Before we realized Diet Coke in the can was so helpful for us, we used one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a wine glass of water with dinner. Or with every meal and afterwords too, sometimes. This is helpful, but not as helpful as Diet Coke, in those for whom the problem is less stomach acid than required.

Try a can of Diet Coke in the evening, Copa. That is what I do when my stomach just doesn't feel right.

Just have a bottle of Pepto Bismol around, and use it when you feel stomach pain. The bismuth in Pepto Bismol is believed to prevent h pylori from adhering.
Back when I worked, Pepto Bismol would be given along with antibiotics to eradicate h pylori. I don't know what standard protocol is for ulcers, now.

I do know Diet Coke and Pepto Bismol work for us when nothing else does.

Isn't that a strange thing.

I hope it helps you, Copa. Before I knew about these things, beginning with vinegar and finally, learning about Pepto Bismol and Diet Coke, I had terrible trouble with my stomach, too.

Cedar

Copabanana

with those of us who have stomach problems, is that we do not produce enough stomach acid
Will, that is interesting. I need to stop popping the OTC Prilosec.

I will buy the Diet Coke and Pepto Bismal, too. Thank you.

It has helped immeasurably to not have my son here or near. When he is here I feel like quarts of acid are being poured down my gullet. Sorry people, Cedar is a nurse.

So, in my case, it may not be insufficient acid. Stress, spicy foods and eating close to bedtime seem to be the worst triggers.

I have been taking probiotics daily. I read that they are protective to people like us. I will see if I can ween myself off of the Prilosec.

Thank you, Cedar

Copabanana

Cedar, when we were in my mother's Big City, staying in her house while she was in the hospital, we went out for Mexican Food. I came home and was deathly ill with the vomiting and pain. For hours. M walked to the pharmacy to get me Pepto Bismal. He came back with that liquid you use for constipation.

I was so sick, I thought, maybe he knows something I don't know. I trust him.

Well, he cannot read English. Nobody was there at the drugstore who spoke Spanish. He bought what he thought was the Pepto Bismal. You can fill in the blanks as to what happened.

To this day he thinks he cured me. By ridding my body of the toxins.

Last edited:

Copabanana

Cedar, I just checked. There are no Italian stations on Satellite Radio. I am sorry for the false lead. There are radio stations from Italy that stream on the internet, however. A list is below.

MAYBE WE CAN FIND STATIONS FROM D H MAMA'S HOME TOWN!!!!!

The complication with this is one requires some sort of a media player. I am looking to see if there is something that seems uncomplicated so that she or the staff where she is can learn how to use it. I think a more practical idea would be to download broadcasts and put them on an MP3 player so all she has to do is turn it on. But I do not know the technicalities of that. I will try to learn.

I think you can buy a satellite radio with internet capability, now. I will look. But that would limit her, unless she was able to master changing channels. I have. But only between news stations.

I will look to see what is online.

She could have 2 or more MP 3 players. One for news. One for music. One for entertainment. So she would have as if channels, but not have to bother doing anything except for reaching for one or the other.

Maybe just start out with one. They are cheap now, the Mp3 players. Like 25 dollars. I got the big kind of wireless earphones for cheap, too, when my mom was sick.

Italy

Radio station Location Listen Live Format/Comments
RAI Radiouno
Rome 96 Kbps News/information
RAI Radiodue Rome 96 Kbps Adult Contemporary
RAI Radiotre Rome 96 Kbps Classical/Culture
RAI FD4 Leggera Rome 96 Kbps Jazz/Easy Listening
RAI FD5 Auditorium Rome 96 Kbps Classical
RAI Isoradio Rome 6 Kbps News/Information/Traffic news
RAI GR Parlamento Rome 96 Kbps Italian Parliament
RAI Italia Rome
mp3.gif
96 Kbps International service
RAI Sender Bozen Bolzano
mp3.gif
96 Kbps Regional service (German/Ladin)
RAI WebRadio 6 Rome
mp3.gif
96 Kbps History
RAI WebRadio 7 Rome
mp3.gif
96 Kbps Rock/pop
RAI WebRadio 8 Rome
mp3.gif
96 Kbps Indie music, trends
Antenna Radio Esse Siena
aacplus.gif
32 Kbps Local service
Die Antenne Lana (Südtirol)
mp3.gif
128 Kbps Hot Adult Contemporary
(German service)
Antenna1 Rome
mp3.gif
128 Kbps Adult Contemporary
Antenna 2 Clusone
mp3.gif

aacplus.gif
128 Kbps
48 Kbps Pop/Information
Antenna Uno Catania
mp3.gif
48 Kbps Dance
Bella Radio Catania 48 Kbps Local service
Centro Suono Sport Rome 2 Kbps Sport/music
CiaoComo Radio Como
Ciao Radio Bologna WebPlaye Music/news
Ciccio Riccio Brindisi 96 Kbps Adult Contemporary
Controradio Florence
mp3.gif
96 Kbps Music/culture/local news
Country Power Station Internet only
mp3.gif
64 Kbps US Country music
DeeGay Radio Internet only
mp3.gif
128 Kbps Pop/Dance
DeeGay Classics Internet only
mp3.gif
128 Kbps Pop/Classics
Delta Radio Porto Tolle
aacplus.gif
48 Kbps News/information/music

I had to cut off 3/4 of the list because the site would not let me post.

Scent of Cedar *

Thank you, Copa!

D H sister thinks it would be best not to encourage D H mom to think or speak Italian because she forgets she is speaking it and becomes frustrated with the people she is talking to when they don't understand. D H said he told his mom yesterday: "Mom. Speak English."

And she was so surprised, because she thought she was.

D H initially thought the satellite radio idea was great. He was touched that you suggested it.

Cedar

D H mom is being released from the hospital today. She is doing really well and is back to her spicy self.

:O)

Copabanana

Hi Cedar

That makes sense. Maybe it is because of my own Mother...maybe it is because D H Mama seems so heroic...I want her to be happy and to look forward to every day. To feel every day she has left is a marvel...to feel like she gets presents...every day she is still alive.

I fear that this might be why D H wishes it was her time. Because he wants her to live in this way. And he fears she is not.

Maybe I want it for him. That when he thinks of his Mama he can see her in his mind's eye...thrilled with living every day.

Do not tell D H this, because I do not want him to feel bad. It made me sad for him. That he had to live feeling bad for his mother.

You know, music is transformative for older people. Even people with dementia who have been unresponsive for years...will respond to music, with happiness. I remember a film with an old African American man...when earphones playing Jazz were put on his ears, he began to sing and dance and smile and laugh.

His daughter was there. She cried.

Does D H Mama do needlework?

COPA