Dad update

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Dad called me last night to remind me of the impending annual cookoff. This year the cuisine is casseroles. As you all know, the competition is fierce. It's a proud moment to take home the traveling trophy - a rolling pin. :spaghetti:

It's been a little over a year since Mom passed away. Dad is doing well - he's planning on retiring mid May. Of course, we're taking bets - the man is 79 & has planned retirement every year since he's been 70. I expect this year he'll actually do it - I think he's getting tired.

While we chatted, Dad mentioned that he had baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday afternoon. The recipe said it would make 60 cookies & his turned out 58. "Close enough, Linda". Pretty darned close, Dad - most of us make big cookies. :bigsmile:

Dad did mention that next time he was going to add a bit of espresso flavoring to the cookies & use pecans instead of walnuts to the recipe.

I had to laugh - a year ago my father had never baked a cookie in his life. Now he's experimenting & editing recipes to his tastes. I'm simply amazed at the grace with which he has handled Mom's end of life & life in general.

If I live up to half of Mom & Dad's values & attain their love for life & each other, I know I will have led a good life. :warrior:

That is so cute! Your dad baking cookies.

My dad, after splitting with my mom (not the same scenario but stick with me), finally pursued his own hobbies. For years when they were together, I was in charge of watering countless plants that my mom bought. I hated it, and most of them died. Well after dad got his own place, he became a green thumb. He can make ANYTHING grow. He brought a 35 year old aloe vera plant back to life after my mom almost killed it.

Sorry for jacking yout thread. Dads are cool when they do things like that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe you should write what you wrote us in a card and send it to your dad so you know that HE knows - you think of him and your Mom as quite the couple...something to live up to.

I think any parent would appreciate that.

Quite a legacy they left you with Linda.

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
I loved reading this! Your dad is amazing! Had to laugh at the 58 cookies don't think I ever get close to what they call actually say should turn out.

The casserole cookoff sounds like a blast! Crossing my fingers you take home the traveling rolling pin.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Yup, my parents are (were) keepers. I am truly blessed in that department.

Suz, I love my dad too - he's such a sweetie. Talking to me about retirement & chocolate chip cookies. :grandpa: I don't know which amused me more - I think it was the cookies.

I did request that next time he was in "baking mode" to mail a batch of those cookies up here. Dad seemed amicable to the idea - probably sometime next week. :jumphappy:

I appreciate your patience, ladies, in letting me ramble on about Dad. As I said, I've been blessed in the parent arena & want to enjoy his "company" as much as possible, as long as possible.

Nancy

That's so sweet Linda. Your Dad is honoring your Mom and their life together.

I have become much closer to my Dad after my Mom passed away. Of course I miss her terribly too but I have been able to watch my Dad go from someone like your Dad who never cooked for himself or paid a bill in his life to being very self sufficient. He just turned 88 and he's still driving and taking care of himself.

Hugs,
Nancy