Darn it!!

klmno

The pilot light has apparently gone out on the water heater and I have no clue how to light it. LOL! I read the instructions on the WH but I swear they are written for someone who already knows how to do it. I've never needed to light a pilot light on a wh before and have no clue where to begin.

I'm starting to feel like for every good day I have, I have to have at least ten bad ones. LOL!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Actually I've never done it. That's what I have a husband for. lol If ever I don't have a husband, that will be sister in law's job. lol

klmno

I'm debating on waiting until my laundry is dry and I can put on a bra under this T-shirt and seeing if I can find a neighbor outside who'll do it or waiting until tomorrow. But I have to wash my hair tomorrow and get cleaned up and also take a shower before work Monday. This hoovers!! My laundry got washed in cold water....

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
It's really not too difficult. I use one of those butane long neck lighters. You have to take off the outer cover, then some have an inner cover to reveal the pilot light area. There is a dial there that has the selections of "off", "pilot", and "on". First turn the knob to off. Leave it off for a couple of minutes to clear the safety valves (this shuts the gas off when the pilot light goes out). Then I usually light the lighter and turn the knob to pilot, sometimes you have to also push in and hold the knob in, but you should be able to hear the gas and light the pilot light. You may have to hold the knob in for a few seconds if the gas has been off for awhile, but pilot should remain lit when you let go of the knob. Now my water heater has the knob on the outside of the tank, so I put the covers back on before I move the knob to "on". If you don't put the covers on before you turn it to on you will hear a kawoosh, because the thermostat setting will have the gas burner light up to heat the water. Just don't be alarmed, you can still put the covers on, it's just a bit warmer when you do it. Oh, and the very first thing you should do is to be sure you don't have an ELECTRIC water heater..........

klmno

LOL! I'm sure it's not electric. The problem is that there is no diagram- ok- I see what I think the instructions are calling the outer cover and the knob to turn it down and another to turn that says "pilot". The instructions say there is an inner cover then they talk about 5 other things that I'm not comfortable exploring on my own. I'd feel a whole lot better if someone would come over here and let me watch them do it. I'm sure it isn;'t that hard..if a person knows what they are doing. I wouldn't mind exploring it on my own if the consequences for doing it wrong weren't blowing everything (including me and the dogs)) up!

KTMom91

Sorry, I have no idea. Like Lisa, that's what I have a Hubby for. Before that, I had a boyfriend (who wasn't Hubby) who took care of those things.

susiestar

Roll With It
It is pretty hard to blow up a hot water heater unless some idiot tampered with the safety valves or the temp regulator. There is a dealywhomper on the top that keeps pressure from building up in there and blowing you up. Then the safety valves on the gas line that are actually pretty hard to tamper with. Go ahead and try the above directions. If it doesn't work then you need to put in in the off position and give it five full minutes, then hold the pilot thing down as you light it. Happy hot water!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hooray, klmno! I'm proud of you!

That right there is why/how I've learned to do most things I do...good job!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
My water heater has an electronic ignition, no lighter needed...it's all self-contained. Just push a button a few times. It was a PITA to figure that out, though, the directions weren't really clear, like you said. I found a video online to help me through it.. you might google your model # and see.

Mine was on the fritz a couple months ago and I had to light it every morning before my shower until it got fixed, I became an expert lol.

klmno

Thanks, all! No- no electronic ignition, unfortunately. I paid bills and goofed on the internet a bit while waiting for water to heat up. Now I get to take my long hot shower! That should make me feel good while I update my resume and apply for some more jobs online!! Then I'm going to try to organize some paper work, grill chicken shish-k-bobs, and write difficult child a letter. That's the plan for the day, anyway. Errands, shopping, and laundry were done yesterday- in cold water- oh, well- I'm not doing it over.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ohhhhhh. Now I have husband, sister in law, and klmno to light my hot water heater! :rofl:

Good job!

My problem is water heaters are usually located in the basement, I don't go into basements. lol

M

ML

I am so proud of you. You can do anything K. When I think of all the adversity you have overcome it amazes me.