Daughter battling stomach pain and continuous vomiting - No appetite

Californiablonde

difficult child has been battling stomach pain and continuous vomiting since Friday. She has lost about five pounds in one week and she can't keep anything down. She has virtually zero appetite. She has missed five days of school. She did make it to school this morning but my mom picked her up early to take her to her gastroenterology appointment. The doctor is prescribing a new medication that is supposed to work better than the Prilosec she is currently taking. She is also ordering bloodwork to see if she may have an infection in the pancreas. If it is pancreaitis difficult child will have to be hospitalized for several days so I am really hoping and praying that's not what it is. Hopefully the medication change will help and difficult child can get some relief soon. If you all could keep her in your prayers and/or send good vibes our way I would greatly appreciate it.

dstc_99

Did he put her on Zegerid? Might also have another prescription name but basically it is omperazole (prilosec) with sodium bicarbonate. If he did be aware that it can make you burp the sodium bicarbonate taste. If she complains about a weird taste in her mouth that will most likely be it. Basically it tastes like eating a spoon of baking soda. Not everyone gets it but some people do.

Good luck!
:smile:

Californiablonde

She was put on something called Sucralfate. It's a really pain in the butt medication. IT has to be taken three times a day and it can't be taken at the same time as her Prilosec. I will have to give it to her while she's at school and it's supposed to be taken an hour after eating, but lately she hasn't been hungry. She skipped dinner altogether last night. I am going to have to make her eat something so it hopefully works for her.

its a pain in the butt. the timing/scheduling around other medications, meals whathaveyou is hard.

that being said, its the best. when it works, it works well.

honestly though, if she has continuous vomiting and doesn't get relief rather quickly, i'd take her to the ER. one can dehydrate fast and other gi things can cause that kind of vomiting--not just ulcers. (and fyi, pancreatitis can be excruciating).

frankly, she DOES seem to sick to be in school.

InsaneCdn

Stuff to try to get into her...
- crackers
- apple sauce
- bananas
- eggs

Even in small volumes, these give the system something to work on... and some calories.

Californiablonde

Well I just checked on her on my lunch break and she had just made herself some eggs and managed to keep them down. That's an improvement. We go in on Friday for blood work to see how her pancreas is doing. i am hoping this new medication will kick in soon and she can make it to school tomorrow. She's already missed so much and she's falling behind.

InsaneCdn

Give you difficult child a Way To Go on those eggs... the amazing thing with eggs is that they have almost all the vitamins and minerals (not Vit C)... in third-world countries, eggs are "prescribed" as treatment for all sorts of issues and challenges and they are not entirely wrong about that - eggs are not magic, but nutrition can be.