Daughter confessed to smoking weed

tjs

Hi,
Daughter confessed to having tried marijuana a few months back. She confessed because her boyfriend's mother called me to let me know her son had it in his room. Daughter is otherwise a very good girl, good grades, no behavior problems. While we have already addressed the issue and consequences of her smoking pot, this is not my main concern.

She has started the initial consultation process to be seen by a therapist for anxiety issues, had started that process before she smoked pot. She swears she only smoked pot a few times and quit immediately after she got her job and has no desire to do it again. However, she feels she should disclose her use to her therapist. I am worried that if she tells her therapist then i will be arrested because she is only 17.

I have tested her today and the test was negative, and she knows that i plan to randomly test her in the future. Has anyone had any experience with this? Should I worry about the legal ramifications for her trying it?

worried sick mother

You wouldn't be responsible for her trying marjuana, you didn't buy it for her so I don't think there's anyway you could have any legal reunifications. I think the random drug test are a good idea, hold her accountable.

Praecepta

It sounds like you have a wonderful daughter. It is a *very* good thing to be honest with your therapist and fabulous your daughter wants to do this!

You don't have a thing to worry about. Be proud of her. (OK to just try it - bad to constantly use it.)

tjs

I appreciate the kind words. My husband has smoked it in the past and, while i was exposed quite frequently I was always terrified of it.