Daughter made the basketball team, the fun begins.

Jody

Two things about trying out for sports. Either she is upset because she didn't make it or she makes it and she quits or gets kicked off because she can't get along with the other players. This year she made the 8th grade basketball team. I am happy for her, because she is so excited. It will be good excercise and I am praying that this year things will be different. Though right now, it is not optimistic. She actually does pretty good, the problem comes in when other kids hog the ball, or get smart, then she will really let them have it and it doesn't matter when or where. I cringe as I say that. Been there and don't want to go thru it again. Every year, when school starts she is full of what I think is anxiety, and while if she holds it together at school, she can't hold it together for the rest of the night at home, and vice versa. Does anyone have this issue with their difficult child's. It does seem to taper off in October and November, but right now on September 1, she's driving both her fostermom and me nuts. I just found several text messages where her language was awful. I can't believe she didn't delete them. She used my phone because I refused to pay her phone bill with her attitude. So she snuck mine. Busted. Oh hurry up child turn 18 years old please. Pretty please?

InsaneCdn

Every year, when school starts she is full of what I think is anxiety, and while if she holds it together at school, she can't hold it together for the rest of the night at home, and vice versa. Does anyone have this issue with their difficult child's. It does seem to taper off in October and November, but right now on September 1, she's driving both her fostermom and me nuts

It tapers off in Oct and Nov??? Wow - can we trade kids?
The anxiety goes through the roof Aug 1, in "preparation" for the start of school, and doesn't really wear off until about... July 15 or 20. So, we get a whole 10 days without it per year???!!!!

I know what you mean, though - when the anxiety kicks in, the brain goes into overdrive, and most of the productivity is negative!

Jody

She's always excited before school starts. She can't wait to see the kids, and teachers that she likes. I am sorry that it doesn't wear off for you sometime earlier in the year. difficult child, gets real messed up with her sleep pattern when the change of time takes place. She'll be trying to go to bed at 6 pm and then she will be walking around the house at 2 am. I am putting my computer in my room, so I can watch her better if she gets up in the middle of the night, when she comes home.

InsaneCdn

Sleep issues. been there done that. Don't let her go to bed at 6. Get some fun going - or some exercise - or a bubble bath - or go shopping. Whatever it takes. But if she's running on 8 hours of sleep (8 hours? how on earth? difficult child runs on 11 or 12!) She shouldn't be in bed before 9 - and that will have her up at 5, but at least that's semi-civilized. (according to husband, anything after 4:30 a.m. is fair game)
And maybe, if she's up a wee tad longer, she'll be more tired and maybe sleep for an extra hour or so.

Jody

She can be real combative, even if I am offering to play games, or cards. She will only get up for a little while and then go back to sleep. She now takes abilify so that helps a lot with her sleep issues. I am hoping that this year is different.