Daughter on Seroquel

VanillaOrchid

Hello. I am new here. My 11 year old daughter was put on Seroquel yesterday. I have information that the dr. gave me but I wanted to know more, so I turned to the internet. Now, I am terrified! I can not find anything positive about the drug. :smile: If any of you can inform me of positive things about it, I sure would appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

DDD

Welcome aboard, Vanilla. Glad you found us. Weekends are usually slow around here but I am sure you'll get responses soon
to your Seroquel info request. My difficult child was on the Rx about five
years ago but I honestly can't recall much to share.

Waiting for others to pop in, what type of issues is your daughter having? Is this the first medication that has been tried?
Does she have a diagnosis?

This is a great spot for support and cyber friendship. I'm sure
you'll be glad you found us. Hugs. DDD

Steely

Welcome Vanilla.

My son was on seroquel for 5 years and it was a very effective medication for him. It calmed his rages, and helped him to think more clearly. The medication is a good one, just be sure and get regular bloodwork to check and make sure her cholestrol and glucose stay within normal limits. I think many parents on this board are using seroquel for their difficult children, so you are definitely not alone.

Again, welcome!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Welcome Vanilla,

My difficult child kt has been on seroquel for going on 4 years now. It has been the one constant medication for her & really makes a difference.

Unfortunately, when you search for information on a lot of these medications it's mostly negative along with the most extreme reactions to these medications.

It all depends on your child's individual response.

If you see any troubling symptoms definitely report it to your psychiatrist. The biggest initial problem for kt was the sedating effect. She takes the largest dose at night to counter this.

I hope you see positive changes in difficult child.

Again, welcome.

VanillaOrchid

Thank you so much for your responses!
DDD, my daughter has been diagnosed with severe mood disorder not otherwise specified, anxiety disorder not otherwise specified, ODD, depression, and just yesterday her psyciatrist says that she thinks that it is more bi-polar than depression. She also has petit mal seizures and is on Lamictal which really seems to help with the seizures. She is the oldest of my 3 kids. I just want to educate myself on how to help her the best way I can because most days, I feel like I have failed her, even though deep in my heart I know that I am doing everything that I possibly can to help her.

DDD

I hope the Seroquel helps, Vanilla. Most of us have felt the
same way as you feel. Somehow it just "seems" like we should be
able to solve all the problems, doesn't it? As you can see
others are popping out of the woodwork..lol. DDD

Alisonlg

My M is currently on Seroquel as well.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that while the side effects and the things you find online may sound scary, when you reach the point in your difficult child's life that medication becomes necessary is when the benefits outweight the potential side effects. The stability and improved quality of life are worth it.

I hope the Seroquel is a good fit for your daughter. Welcome to the board!

Sara PA

You should know that Seroquel, like all antipyschotics, can lower the seizure threshold. Lamictal is approved for adults as a mood stabilizer as well as approved for children and adults as an anticonvulsant. It is the recommend mood stabilizer to treat bipolar depression.

If she seems to get worse after starting the Seroquel, consider that she is experiencing partial seizures, especially if her seizures effect the temporal lobe.

VanillaOrchid

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate them so very much! Chloe' has a doctors. appointment. today with her phsycologist and I have written down a ton of questions that I would like answers to, such as blood work, my grandfather had diabetes......, etc. Chloe' will be 11 at the end of this month. It says that seroquel is not for patients under 18yrs of age. That concerns me!

Vanilla Orchid