Day pass in rehab

Nancy

This is the first time I have smiled in months. I picked difficult child up yesterday after group at 11:30 and we headed to a mall about an hour away. We shopped, sat outside, enjoyed the sunshine and then went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. We had a relaxing and fun time. She asked to go to Borders to buy a meditation book and I also got her Chicken Soup for the Recovering Soul. Got her back at 6:45 in time for her AA meeting.

We talked a lot, she said a lot of things that gave me hope. She admitted she's been drinking since she was 14 and she loves feeling sober. She said she can't wait to come home and sleep in her own bed, which was nice to hear because lately she didn't care where she slept. She bought a few things to wear now that the weather is getting cooler and said she is enjoying dressing more conservatively.

I asked her how step 4 was coming and she said it was difficult but that she was making progress. I asked her to include all the things she has stolen over the years in her moral inventory and she said she was planning on it. I'd love to read that list just so I would know what happened to all the things I've been missing. When she is finished with the moral inventory she presents it to her higher power, in the form of Pastor Pat, who comes every Thursday to hear their steps.

Tomorrow we have another family day.

Nancy

Last edited:
P

PatriotsGirl

What fantastic news!!! Pray she keeps up the fantastic work - she should be proud of herself :)

T

toughlovin

That is great news Nancy!!! Sounds like she is making real progress....and she may take a step back again at some point but sometimes those steps back then propel you forward.

svengandhi

I am so glad to hear this, Nancy. Your tone sounds lighter, more relaxed and hopeful than it had been recently - that is good to read.

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
I'm so happy for your daughter's progress. I'm currently in Al Anon and have found it to be extremely helpful and comforting as my kids deal with their issues. It sounds like your daughter is ready to hlep herself. congratulations on this good news!

klmno

This all sounds so promising-as someone mentioned in your previous thread, I also think this is giving her a good foundation for recovery even if it ends up taking her a few times later on. But really, it is sounding more and more like she is getting a pretty good handle on what it will take and she's taking a day at a time and doing what she needs to. I'm really happy for both of you!

About the 4th step- it might vary from one treatment center to another, but where I went, the journal of the 4th step was solely between me, my Higher Power, and my sponsor and therapist when/if I pursued that. It was recommended NOT to show it to anyone else, so don't take it personally if she doesn't. This keeps her shortcomings her responsibility and in her control. When she's to the step of making amends, she should tell you how to get back anything reasonably possible or come clean about what she did, as long as it doesn't cause more problem for you or someone else.

Nancy

klmno I wasn't serious about her showing me her fourth step. You are right, it is between her and her higher power and Pastor Betsy. I wouldn't ask her to see it, she has to be able to do it honestly and without fear.

Nancy