Dear Abby: Mentally Ill & Prison

JJJ

This was in Dear Abby today. Thought some of you might be interested.

Confidential To My Readers: An estimated 320,000 people who suffer from severe mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression with psychotic features) are incarcerated in our jails and prisons today.

If you or a member of your family has been diagnosed as "mentally ill" and has spent time in jail or prison, please write and tell me about it. Your firsthand experiences are needed for an important mental-health study being done by an elite group of psychiatrists. Please address your letters to The C.P. Committee, Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (GAP), Room 322, 701 W. Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21201.

I want to thank you in advance for taking part in this important study. Your personal comments will help GAP to identify the seriousness and magnitude of this problem rooted in the mental health/justice fields. Your participation may help to effect major change in these areas, and have a profound impact on the treatment of many of our loved ones. Please share your comments today.

-- Love, Abby

DDD

I posted this same info in hopes that some of our CD family members might be able to contribute to the study. Sadly, many
of us have just resigned ourselves to the inhumanity of the system. DDD