Dear Heloise

InsaneCdn

This one still bugs me, so I'm still thinking.

Landlord says its not creosote. OK, for now, I'll assume that is true. So, what else can it be?
You mentioned that a wood stove "used to" sit in that area. Which means there isn't one there now, right?
So, why would you have a wood stove, and then take it out? (thinking out loud).
Maybe... the wood stove had a problem, and there was a fire? that they managed to put out before the whole place went up in smoke?

IF SO... it could be charcoal, not creosote. (from the sub-floor burning)
Cleaning the carpet with anything wet will still make it a problem.

What happens if you work some baking soda, or corn starch, into a small bit of the stain, and let it set overnight, and then vacuum? Can we absorb this stuff?

Just wondering...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
If you go to a tool store (harbor frieght or something of the sort), you can buy a can of spray-on rubber lining. Generally it is used to line pickup truck beds, or handles on tools to make them grip better, etc.

It also works great to spray on the back of rugs to prevent something from going thru them.... (and its fairly cheap). I use it to keep water from going thru the rugs near my sink in the kitchen. But it would also keep stains from getting on the underside of the rug if the offender was below it!

Steely

Insane - thanks for thinking still about this - as you know I still do :)

My Mom swears it has nothing to do with the fireplace, she thinks it is just an old, old carpet that has no stain resistant on it. I don't know. However, I played with a spot with low level of bleach, baking soda, and water, and it actually took some of the spots away. Next area I am going to try just baking soda and a scrub brush and see what happens.

At least I made a little progress??!!

InsaneCdn

Corn starch is the other good one - really absorbant of oily/greasy stuff.
Had to use it way back when, with a mechanically-inclined bro who sat on the carpet with his coveralls ON.