Deja Vu....

A

AmericanGirl

difficult child called today. Calm and sweet as can be. Told me the names of the medications he is on.

One is a common anti-depressant. difficult child has refused to take them for over two years - or taken them off and on until I refused to refill it if he wasn't going to take them properly.

The second he thinks is for anxiety. I've heard that medication name before, but where......oh yeah.

Deja vu of me in a psychiatrist office the first of this year. I faxed her complete history before she saw difficult child. She couldn't trigger mania in him but agreed bipolar rapid cycling was a possibly.

She gives difficult child a script for the same medication. Never said the term bi-polar in front of him. difficult child refused to take it.

I'm thrilled because I think we are finally getting somewhere. I've been telling every treatment professional I have seen since then I think he should have a dual-diagnosis.

S

Signorina

My heart fell when I saw the title and now I am beyond thrilled that it wasn't bad news. I am so glad he is cooperative & taking the medications and that he is showing some balance.

And another check in the "mom knows best column".

Sending love and support & a sigh of relief to you...

Kathy813

Staff member
Good news! I agree 100% that sobriety is not possible until the underlying disorders are treated.

~Kathy

lovemysons

Agree with Kathy...and it so hard for our difficult child's to come to terms with their own Mental Illness issues. Sigh...seems to be more glamorous to call yourself an addict!

LMS

InsaneCdn

The reason they'd rather have the "addict" tag than a MI tag is that "addict" implies some level of choice... MI is not a choice.
It doesn't HELP them any, but... there is some logic buried in there somewhere.