Delayed Reaction

pasajes4

We had a huge storm on April 12th with Giant hail. It broke windows in the house and made my car has shattered windows. My roof is destroyed. I can't get a rental vehicle until who knows when and the same for a roofer.

I was ok until midnight last night when I woke up crying and feeling extremely depressed.

Just needed to vent.

pasajes4

I do not cry easily. It has always been buck up buttercup. I really believe the last 3 years have caught up with me.

AppleCori

Hey Pasa,

((((hugs))))

I'm so sorry.

Same thing happened to my three adult kids (I think they live in the same area as you do, from what I have seen from your previous writings).

My two daughters' cars are not drivable (one daughter's car is actually her rental from the hit-and-run runaway trailer full of lawn car equipment, her car is nowhere near ready, and was damaged in the holding lot).

She has just broken her engagement, moved back to the area, gotten a new job, hit by a runaway trailer and the driver runs off, and now this.

My other daughter has gotten a reassurance that she will get a rental on Tuesday (we will see). Luckily, she works from home most days, so it's not too much of a problem, and all of her clients are in that same city, so they too have their own car/house problems.

They said it was baseball sized hail.

Did your daughter experience the storm, too?

How is she doing?

Apple

Scent of Cedar *

We had a huge storm on April 12th with Giant hail. It broke windows in the house and made my car has shattered windows. My roof is destroyed. I can't get a rental vehicle until who knows when and the same for a roofer.

I was ok until midnight last night when I woke up crying and feeling extremely depressed.

I saw damage from that storm on the Weather Channel. They reported the hail as softball sized. I could not imagine what it must have been like to hear it fall.

How awful for you.

I am so sorry, pasa.

Cedar

Calamity Jane

Oh Buttercup, this is no time to buck up. Have yourself a good cry and take whatever time you need to collect yourself again.

You are strong and smart and resourceful, and you can be all those things once again in a couple of days after you're done processing what just happened.

Hugs to you.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Pasa, I'm so sorry to hear this. Oh that hail can be so nasty. I had a similar experience when I lived in Colo. I don't think there was one house on our block that did not have broken windows and roof damage.

The house and car can be repaired. I'm just glad you are ok and did not get hit by any of the hail.

I think it's good you had a good cry. Let it out, release it and let those tears cleanse you.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

((HUGS))

Jabberwockey

Lil had mentioned that she heard a news story where the hail had penetrated the roof, went through the floor, and into the garage where it destroyed the cars. They described it as cannonball sized.

Lil

Oh Pasa - You are the first person I "know" who was caught in that - it looked just devastating on the news.

With all you've been thru, this is just the proverbial straw...of course you are depressed - cry all you like. Heck, scream loud and long if you need to! It'll not hurt you a bit to let it out!

As for the car - do they have any of those "we come to you" places to replace glass? I assume you have insurance - maybe it would be quicker to replace the glass than rent a car? As for the roof - do they have much rain (usually) where you live? Because that's where you need a rush...if it's going to keep storming. Otherwise, that can wait a bit. You might be able to get some of those big tarps and hire just a handyman to cover the worst of the roofing damage if rain is coming.

Hang in there! We're all here if you need to vent!

New Leaf

So sorry Pasa, storm events are devastatingly frightful. That is a lot of destruction to deal with, I do not blame you for letting the "dam" go. Is FEMA going to step in? We had a bad landslide years back and were able to receive some funds to repair our home. I hope you will be able to get help. My prayers are with you dear.

(((HUGS)))
leafy

pasajes4

All of the mobile auto glass companies are backed up to May. My roofer is waiting on the appraiser. I would drive to a company if I could. The damage to my car is extensive and might be totaled, so I don't want to do anything until they look at it. The roofer covered the roof with plastic. We are expecting more bad weather this weekend.

Apple, I am on the eastside of San Antonio. There was a 10 mile section that got hit with hail as big as a grown mans large hand.

My car would have been in the garage except that it was full of old cabinets that had been ripped out of my kitchen. I had started a remodeling job that morning.

Scent of Cedar *

There was a 10 mile section that got hit with hail as big as a grown mans large hand.

I am glad you weren't hurt. I cannot even imagine what that must have been like. I was caught in a hail storm once while I was driving. The hail was less than ice-cube size, but it made the scariest noise and killed all the plants and flowers.

Cedar

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I saw a video clip of that hailstorm. It showed softball sized hail landing in a swimming pool. I'd never seen anything like it.

Largest hail I've seen personally was golf-ball sized; that did more than enough damage.

pasajes4

I finally got the damage to the house assessed. It is enough to fix the damage. They totaled my car. I am not happy about that. I am not as bad off as thousands of others.

Lil

I had a car totaled by hail damage once...no broken windows, but I didn't owe much on it. So I just took their money and kept driving it.

We named it Dimples.

Lil

Actually, now that I think about it...it wasn't totaled. The money was to repair it, but we took it and paid it off. Same thing I suppose. lol

InsaneCdn

Yes, Lil, that makes a difference. If it's totaled, they won't even let you have it back - all you get is the money. Which is never enough to replace what you had, of course.

Here, they will not give you the money to repair - the repair shop bills insurance directly, and you just pay the deductible. It prevents using the money for a different purpose...

Jabberwockey

Here, we get the money directly but they do note whether the damage was repaired or not so if you get damage to the same, unrepaired area, they wont pay for it to be repaired this time.