Deleted post.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nomatic,

I have no advise on Voc. Rehab. I did want to say you are correct about the little extras. It doesn't help, it makes them dependent on you. The fact that she got her own transportation, made an appointment and followed through?

FANTASTIC !!!! GOOD JOB WARRIOR MOM! :warrior:

Hugs
Star

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't have any experience with Vocational Rehab but I'm delighted to hear that she's taking some initiative! Smack husband's hand the next time it reaches for his wallet :wink: so she can continue on this path.

Fingers crossed!

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Awesome that difficult child got motivated to do this herself!! :bravo:

I'm not sure what you mean by vocational rehab, so doubt I can be of any help. Are they going to train her/educate her for a job to fit her needs? Is that the idea? I know that did that at Travis' vocational school for kids who needed it, and then would help find them work.

Travis also uses an agency for the disabled, linked thru the same vocational school, to get employment. They helped him the first time around with walmart. And then again with krogers. Also made sure that the jobs were modified to meet his needs and businesses were respecting his rights. (doesn't seem to matter that Travis can't now work at what he was originally trained to do)

Keeping fingers crossed that since this was her idea that it works out for her.

Hugs

DDD

Both my boys are enrolled with Voc/Rehab. difficult child is just 17 but I
have requested that they provide him with a driving instructor
and a social skills coach...two desperately needed supports that
I can't handle and the school hasn't provided. easy child/difficult child has brain
damage and has..once again..had to miss an appointment due to
his incarceration (which is caused by a system that seems to have
even more brain damage..lol).

I am curious however how SSDI and Voc/Rehab can work together.
The most recent neuro/psychiatric examination of easy child/difficult child shows that he
should be a shoo in for SSDI. That Doctor does not believe he
can work and support himself. on the other hand I can not imagine how really
debilitating it would be as the age of 20 to just receive checks
and not seek a career of sorts. I'm at the beginning of this
road so I'm not sure how you can "earn" but also be "incapable
of earning". Guess I'll find out sooner or later.

That is wonderful that she has taken the initiative. Independent
actions are so much more benefiticial. Good luck. DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
The long term goal is to retrain/rehab vocationally so that SSI can be reduced or stopped in those adults that can be helped.
I hope your difficult child will benefit from something that will decrease difficult child's need for SSI. I am holding my breath that my difficult child will get those services and get a more independent self supporting life. It's a dream.