Deleting suspected virus from e mail

scent of cedar

We have what looks like a virus to me in our e mail today. I don't know how to delete it without opening it and possibly, infecting our computer. I looked in help, but it doesn't seem to address it ~ or if it does, I could not find it.

FYI: The suspect e mail contains the words "love card". We received one a while ago that said it was a love card from a family member.

Yep.

It was a virus.

Hey! Wait a minute...maybe it WAS from my family!

:rofl:

Barbara

wakeupcall

On your main email page can't you click on the box next to the email and delete it? I can do that on mine without opening a thing.

mstang67chic

Going Green
There have been a lot of them going around with the subject line being something along the lines of "you've received an e-card from a friend". Any legitimate ecard you would receive would (or should) have the sender's name or email addy in the subject line.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I'm hoping you have an anti-virus program on your computer....many are free so get one if you don't have one....

I use AVG free edition.....

scent of cedar

Ah, thank you.

I do have AVG. In addition, lavasoft has a free program for ads, and spybot provides a free download to detect and remove spyware.

This is the second virus that has made it through the AVG software in as many weeks.

I don't know whether their free downloads are less current than the ones you pay for or what it is that is allowing these latest viruses to get through.

I did try highlighting the virus-infected e card on the envelope part. It did open, but I immediately deleted it.

So, here is another question: How may we delete our temporary internet files?

According to AVG, that is where the little bugger is coming from.

Thanks! :smile:

Barbara

wakeupcall

Up at the top of your browser is a category called "Tools". It may be located kinda in the middle at the to[, or over on the far right. Click on it and you will see a box come up, so click on "Delete browsing history..", then there will be a box asking if you want to delete temporary files. Click it. It may take a while, so be patient. Good luck!

By the way.....I got a phishing email from supposedly PayPal this morning. The logo looked weird so I forwarded it to PayPal and I just got an email from them saying it IS fraudelent. So, all of you be careful!

scent of cedar

Thanks again, Pam.

That's scary, about the e mail from pay pal ~ good thinking on your part to forward it to them.

I will remember that. :smile:

Barbara

donna723

Barbara, just be careful when you're doing this! There's more than one thing to click when you're trying to delete your browser history. The last time I tried to do this, I accidentally deleted all my "remembered passwords", etc. I couldn't get in to anything. I spent hours trying to dig out passwords that I hadn't had to use in a long time because my system was "remembering" them for me.

I never open up suspicious emails either if I don't know where they came from, but I'm also very nervous about trying to delete them. My Outlook Express doesn't HAVE a box to check - you have to actually click on the email and then hit "delete" to delete it and if you don't do it really quick, it will open it up. But once it's in the "Deleted Items" section, I can stay on the "Inbox" page, go up to "Edit", then hit "Empty 'Deleted Items' Folder". That way I can get rid of it without accidentally opening it up.

I've heard about the problems with eBay and Paypal emails too. Supposedly a lot of them take you to fraudulent or "imposter" sites and try to get information out of you. There's also fraudulent "Second Chance" emails being sent out. I got one in my email once for something I had never bid on. They say that you should NEVER respond to an email from eBay or an eBay seller directly through your email. Go to the eBay site and if it was legitimately from eBay or a Seller you're working with, the message will also appear in the message section of your "My eBay" page. Just, if you respond, always do it through the eBay site and not directly from your regular email.

wakeupcall

I didn't know that, Donna. I don't do Ebay with or without PayPal, but my husband does. He originally gave them my email (he didn't have one then), so all the correspondence comes to my email. I'll make sure he's not answering them via the email...and instead I'll make sure he's going back to Ebay to respond to them. Thanks for the tip.