Depakote - 2,500mg/day

JJJ

Does 2,500mg of Depaktoe/day for a 135lb teen sound high to you?? I think the last hospital psychiatrist screwed up and the dose should be 1,250mg/day NOT twice a day. I have a message into our psychiatrist but she's on vacation for 10 more days...

slsh

member since 1999
Looks like max dose should be 60 mg/kg per day. So at 135, that's 61 kg approx. Times 60.... 3600 mg daily? (someone double check my math) http://www.drugs.com - under the professional info on Depakote.

Still, to me that sounds incredibly high. Do you know what her levels were in the hospital? When is her next blood draw?

I'd be calling somebody definitely.

DDD

I'd call the pharmacist and ask if they could check the Rx. I'm no expert
but I think it's an overdose. Good luck. DDD

BusynMember

in my opinion that's WAY too much. But that would depend upon her level. Is she functioning or sleeping all the time? Lethargic? Seem cognitively dulled?

JJJ

Her levels were very low (65) in the hospital but I think she was on half of that dose. I'm going to ask for another blood draw during PHP to check her levels. I have seen no change in her behavior, mood or thought patterns since starting the Depakote.

klmno

My difficult child weighs somewhere around 140. I believe psychiatrist told me that for a boy that size and age, somewhere around 1000-1500 would be typical. Unfortunately, difficult child can't take more than 500 mg/day because the 750/day dose turned him into a different person, drastically. I would be afraid to give 2500mg without confirmation.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm what's called a 'rapid metabolizer' and take 2250 mg of depakote ER per day in order to maintain a therapeutic blood level.

So long as blood levels are correct, sx are controlled, and the liver is handling the dosing, all is well.

It really depends on the individual with this medication